Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Should i get my oil changed at the dealer? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/should-i-get-my-oil-changed-at-the-dealer-76146.html)

adragland 06-13-2014 09:47 AM

Should i get my oil changed at the dealer?

Hey there, fairly new to the forum and i have what may be a dumb question but i bought a Certified Pre-Owned 2012 Overland from a dealer and i am due for my first oil change. Would you guys recommend i get the oik changed at the actual dealer so it will be in the service records? I do have a good mechanic i usually get to do my oil changes but in this case i am not sure. I would imagine having all of the service records with the dealer would be ideal for resell or trade-in value down the road?

AAAA 06-13-2014 09:51 AM

Re: Should i get my oil changed at the dealer?

IMO, it's up to you. Keep the receipts for the oil changes from other locations. Usually they are as valid for a warranty claim as dealer oil changes. I go to the dealer: same cost as elsewhere, "designer" coffee and I like to look at the new vehicles.

deep18 06-13-2014 09:52 AM

Go to your mechanic that you trust. Save the invoice for what you had done and you can show whoever wants to see your service records down the road. I doubt this is going to make any difference in your resale value later. Any good mechanic can poke around and see if you have been maintaining the vehicle correctly or not.

Jim_in_PA 06-13-2014 09:53 AM

There is no requirement for you to use your dealer for oil changes and other regular maintenance. Most of the time, my oil changes are at an independent shop we like to use. When I do have the dealer perform that service, it's because I have the vehicle there for something else that's best for the dealer to handle, such as a warranty issue or TSB. But I make them price match "my guy"...I use synthetic and my dealer normally feels that stuff is "gold plated". They never fail to price match when I insist.

GCLimited 06-13-2014 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AAAA (Post 1037116)

IMO, it's up to you. Keep the receipts for the oil changes from other locations. Usually they are as valid for a warranty claim as dealer oil changes. I go to the dealer: same cost as elsewhere, "designer" coffee and I like to look at the new vehicles.

Good advice...and good reasons for getting your oil changed at the dealership!

:D

Me...I like changing the oil myself (saving all the receipts of course), and saving a buck or two. Whatever you do OP, NEVER go to those quick oil change places like Jiffy Lube!

:eek:

adragland 06-13-2014 10:34 AM

thanks for the responses. I am going to find out the cost at the dealer and if its close i guess ill just take it there since i need to go ahead and get my state inspection out of the way also and the waiting room at the dealer sounds better :-)

bill_de 06-13-2014 01:39 PM

I agree that going to your favorite mechanic is fine. Going to the dealer will have nothing to do with the value of the car.

I have been going to the dealer with this Jeep because they keep doing it for free. And, they do have good coffee. ;)

---

Lark 06-13-2014 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adragland (Post 1037115)
Hey there, fairly new to the forum and i have what may be a dumb question but i bought a Certified Pre-Owned 2012 Overland from a dealer and i am due for my first oil change. Would you guys recommend i get the oik changed at the actual dealer so it will be in the service records? I do have a good mechanic i usually get to do my oil changes but in this case i am not sure. I would imagine having all of the service records with the dealer would be ideal for resell or trade-in value down the road?

Go where ever you feel they won't muck up a simple oil change. It happens more than you'd think. If the shop you deal with actually uses a mechanic to perform oil changes that'd be ideal. Most places including dealers do not.

46er 06-13-2014 02:03 PM

Whomever you go to; for your first visit make sure you check the level before you leave. It's amazing what full means to some mechanics.

jkasch 06-13-2014 02:53 PM

I don't know if they still offer it, but I bought 4 oil changes for $65 at the dealer. It's a MOPAR deal and good at any dealer. I can't change it myself for that much.

I always check their work, though.

whartung 06-13-2014 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkasch (Post 1037308)
I don't know if they still offer it, but I bought 4 oil changes for $65 at the dealer. It's a MOPAR deal and good at any dealer. I can't change it myself for that much.

I always check their work, though.

I basically did this same thing. It's only good at my dealer, but they own the two closest ones I would go to anyway. Basically $16/oil change + 1 tire rotation per year. Currently I'm averaging ~750 miles per month, so it all seems to work out.

jkasch 06-13-2014 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whartung (Post 1037434)
I basically did this same thing. It's only good at my dealer, but they own the two closest ones I would go to anyway. Basically $16/oil change + 1 tire rotation per year. Currently I'm averaging ~750 miles per month, so it all seems to work out.

I'm pretty sure that if the receipt is on the MOPAR letterhead sheet, it's good at any dealer. It surprised me when I got p.o.'d at my dealership and quit going there. The honest dealer I took it to said, "Oh, yeah. It's good at any Chrysler dealer."