Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Questions before buying overhead DVD player (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/questions-before-buying-overhead-dvd-player-7631.html)

Kaliber35 03-17-2010 10:53 PM

Questions before buying overhead DVD player

I know that the factor unit does not have a DVD player built in. Im assuming the DVD player is located under the seat. I have an 05 3.7. I have a space in the headliner where a drop down DVD player used to be. It has what appear to be factor wires.

My question: Is there anything I should know before I buy a flip down DVD player? Im looking at a few that has the DVD player built into the actual unit and has 2 lights that act as dome lights.

Scottina06 03-17-2010 11:34 PM

Re: Questions before buying overhead DVD player

that was the flip down screen...the oem dvd player is on the back of the console on the 05-07

Scottina06 03-17-2010 11:35 PM

you can get the oem screen and dvd player for about $100-$200 on ebay. It would be plug and play since you have the wiring etc.

Kaliber35 03-18-2010 11:10 AM

I didnt see it. Did you find a listing?

Kaliber35 03-18-2010 11:11 AM

Oh, and I cant help it. Every time I see your Jeep I get jealous! lol It looks so good.

Scottina06 03-18-2010 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaliber35 (Post 171849)
I didnt see it. Did you find a listing?

I didnt find any used systems....you may try LKQ.com All you need is the rear upper screen and DVD player.

Here is a listing for a complete new system for the commander(same system as the wk) But it has drawings showing what you need.

dustb0wl 03-23-2010 12:12 AM

http://www.lkqonline.com/custom/prod...ion_quantity=1

Not sure what color your interior is, but there is a tan screen for $85
LKQ doesn't have the player, which you will need. You will also need the remote, headphones (if you want them), possibly wiring stuff, and possibly the mounting bracket. That would basically comprise what the kit would come with if you had bought that. I dont know what you do and do not have, although it sounds like you may have the factory wiring already in place (which, lucky for you, is the hard and expensive part). You will want to be sure of this however, before you order because it will make a big difference in cost. Factory wiring will have a proprietary plug. I will see if I can find the link to what it look like.

Scottina06 03-23-2010 06:17 AM

all the screens are tan on 05-07. But youll want to make sure and get the same color dvd player

JDubya 03-23-2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 171541)
that was the flip down screen...the oem dvd player is on the back of the console on the 05-07

Did they move the DVD player for '08+? How hard would it be to add VES to an '09 Overland? Would it be cheaper/easier to just get the overhead screen and output from a Lockpick or something?

dustb0wl 03-23-2010 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDubya (Post 174843)
Did they move the DVD player for '08+? How hard would it be to add VES to an '09 Overland? Would it be cheaper/easier to just get the overhead screen and output from a Lockpick or something?

thats correct, it's all one unit now (http://justforjeeps.com/resevid.html), which will actually make it easier to install. If you get the parts for the player used, it will probably cost about the same as going aftermarket because of the relatively high cost of a lockpick (~$325). One thing to note, however, is that using a lock pick, you will lose the ability to control the VES from the rear. It will essentially act as a monitor for the head unit, whereas the factory unit will actually be able to control and do certain things separate of the head unit.
Hope that helps.

JDubya 03-23-2010 03:50 PM

Oh ok, thanks for the info. With the factory unit, can you have the video displayed on the rear and front (with lockpick or something like it)?

dustb0wl 03-23-2010 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDubya (Post 174893)
Oh ok, thanks for the info. With the factory unit, can you have the video displayed on the rear and front (with lockpick or something like it)?

I know you can play video in the front (assuming you have mygig), but I am not certain you can play them both at the same time. I want to say yes, but I am not 100% sure. If you could, however, keep in mind that you would have to be in park (video in drive is disabled without a lockpick) and that it is illegal in most states to play video on the front monitor while driving even if you did get the lockpick.