Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Oh no, not another comparison (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/oh-no-not-another-comparison-76427.html)

AAAA 06-22-2014 05:34 PM

Oh no, not another comparison

With almost 3 days in the middle of nowhere in Indiana (I think that's redundant.) for a family event last week, we had to rent a WK2.5.:D We got a 1 month old, 500 miles Limited. Ran about 200 miles mostly highway and country roads. Frankly I thought the forum members who have raved about the improvements on the refresh were exaggerating. But noooo, they were right on the money! ;)

The new dash is easy to use and easy to see with much larger type for the messages and especially for the digital speedometer. And the headlight icon no longer blinds you! However the gear numbers next to the 'D' are hard to read as they are so light and close to the 'D' and impossible to read with sunglasses.

It took no time to get hang of the electronic shifter, but I still don't get the reason for it. Maybe it saves weight! At least I can still rest my hand on it while my arm is on the center rest while I drive. So if you are going with electronic controls why the old school parking brake pedal?

My wife feels it is quieter than ours, but ours has 47,000 miles on it.

A side note is that the door frame sticker for the 18" tires now states 36 lbs. where my MY11 states 33 lbs. It probably helps with the mpg's.

Once my 5 speed transmission learned my driving habits, I had no complaints, but the 8 speed is even better.

I can't comment on the capless fuel filler as I did not put gas in and let Enterprise have their way with me on that!:moon:

In summary, the wife is almost as excited as I am to order a MY15 in the fall/winter. Nice job Jeep engineers and assembly people. You improved on something that needed very little improvement.:thumbsup:

Oh, one more comment. In driving 200 miles we did not see another WK2. OTH, if I drive 5 miles to Home Depot here, I will usually see from 2 to 5 WK2's each way!!

Briant73 06-22-2014 05:43 PM

Re: Oh no, not another comparison

I only test drove the 13 once but I also found a lot of the same things improved on the 2014. Reading this forum it sounds like the recently built 2014s have most of the early bugs worked out so the 2015s should be solid. Good luck with your future purchase

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

Dan JGC 06-22-2014 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AAAA (Post 1041201)
Frankly I thought the forum members who have raved about the improvements on the refresh were exaggerating. But noooo, they were right on the money! ;)

I thought the same thing...I loved my 2011 but now go "wow" with my 2014. The refresh is great.

With respect to the electronic shifter, I really like it now. Couldn't have the paddle shifters if it weren't electronic. The capless fuel filler is nice...and a bit odd since was so used to having a cap.

I am really enjoying my 2014 ... so I'm sure you're gonna enjoy your 2015 too!!!

SW03ES 06-22-2014 11:03 PM

I too can attest that the 2014 is a huge upgrade to my previous 2011. I really liked it, but I LOVE my 2014.