Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   New Tires HELP! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/new-tires-help-76485.html)

AltitudeDude 06-24-2014 10:51 AM

New Tires HELP!

Hey guys,

I have a 2012 Altitude and looking for some new tires for my stock 20" rims. I have had 2 tires patched now due to nails (new neighborhood with careless workers!) but there is a continuous leak in each that Les Schwab indicated just could not be fixed. For now, I'm rolling with them and airing up once a month, but I need a long-term solution.

I live in Boise, ID so we get weather of all types - 100+ degrees in the summer, sub-zero snow & ice in the winter, etc. I was thinking of going with Toyo AT's but they don't make a tire that fits. Another thought is BFG AT? I am an aggressive driver but want something with decent tread for our winters and if I want to take the family camping in the mountains. I'm also looking for something with decent value as we're trying to buy a new house in the near future.

Thanks for any input!!!

AAAA 06-24-2014 11:22 AM

Re: New Tires HELP!

Nokian Rotiiva AT.

AltitudeDude 06-24-2014 11:43 AM

Any specific reason why those over anything else? Are they available at most tire shops?

pinetar 06-24-2014 12:14 PM

If you're looking for a better price, new(ish) tire/tread design that performs well in most conditions, I'd look into the Cooper AT3, Hercules Terra Trac AT II or Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10. They seem to be the cheapest of the AT crowd and have much better designs than the overpriced BFG ATs, IMO. Those are just outdated and don't really do well in wet conditions, from what I've read. But that varies from person to person and forum to forum. So YMMV.

I've also read lots of good things about the Nokian brand tires, but they are kind of hard to find and a bit more pricey.

Chunderboy 06-24-2014 01:53 PM

I've got the bridgestone Dueler A/T and couldn't be happier. Great performance on dry and snowy pavement. Nice aggressive look and don't make too much sound at highway speeds.

Jason911 06-24-2014 01:59 PM

Could look at Cooper Zeons. I know a couple other members on here run them. My vote would also be for the Nokian Rotiva's - those Finlanders know how to make tires. I'll be getting a set as soon as the Silent Armors wear a bit more. Yes they are more difficult to find, but oh so worth the money.

http://www.nokiantyres.com/summer-ty...an-rotiiva-at/

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

lstowell 06-24-2014 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AltitudeDude (Post 1042080)
Any specific reason why those over anything else? Are they available at most tire shops?

Nokians can be a bit hard to find in many areas. Some places will special order them for you, but then the prices tend to show this.

They ARE really good tires, and their winter studs are impossible to beat, but you wouldn't want to run them in summer.

Cooper worked a bit better for me than Hankook did, but both are good serviceable midrange tires.

AltitudeDude 06-24-2014 03:54 PM

Thanks for all the info guys! I definitely want to buy through a shop locally so that I can get all of the service comp'd. I have Discount Tire & Les Schwab nearby.

Reading some great reviews on these Yokohamas: Tire Details - Discount Tire

Are these the Deulers you're speaking of:Tire Details - Discount Tire

Thanks!

lstowell 06-24-2014 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AltitudeDude (Post 1042199)
Thanks for all the info guys! I definitely want to buy through a shop locally so that I can get all of the service comp'd. I have Discount Tire & Les Schwab nearby.

Thanks!

Tip: Although the Discounttire web site for Boise lists the Michelin Latitude Tour HP as "Best", they suck. Poor tread wear, so so traction, and not even Ron Popeil would claim they are "off road" by any stretch of the imagination.

OK, maybe the 20 inch model doesn't suck as bad as the 18 standard on the WK2...

The Nitto is a good tire, so is the Dueller, the Goodyear Wrangler appears to have a promotion in your area. I personally don't care for the Wrangler, but it is a very good all around tire.

They don't list the Michelin MS/2, it is on the other end of the spectrum from the Latitude. Excellent all around tire with very good wet and cold traction--and excellent tread wear on top of that. It is available in 20 inch size if Schwab has them. Pricey, but really worth it if you want to forget about tires for the next 5 years.

1stJeepGC 06-24-2014 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AltitudeDude (Post 1042199)

Thanks!

Greetings,

The tires you are showing here on the links, IMHO, I would not use them for the winter. For a winter tire, first of all, you need a softer compound that has the ability to give you traction in the colder temperatures. And second, the tread patterns are not right. These tire will get either suck or have nasty problem with poor traction.:eek:

The Nokian Rotiva AT for the 20's right now come in either 275/55/20 or 275/60/20. You can check with Nokian, they have an excellent costumer service department. I got mine online from TIRESBYWEB.COM, excellent service and had them installed by my local Goodyear dealer.

Nokian Tyres North America

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/nokia...ate-70342.html

Their are not many tires in the stock size for on/off road all terrain usage. Many here have use various different sizes with excellent results. All the tire manufactures are great for checking which fits the best. Look at GY, Cooper and Toyo tires.

When it comes to tires in the winter, my father always told me do not look for the easy way out, pay more for a better tire can save your life.

Best for now.:)

MOFSTEEL 06-24-2014 05:11 PM

I choose the Cooper Zeon LTZ to replace my OEMs and I couldn't be happier. :thumbsup:

AltitudeDude 06-24-2014 05:20 PM

Thanks for the info, man! What size did you get? Doesn't look like they come in the standard sizing (265/50R-20).