Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Taking delivery at different dealership? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/taking-delivery-at-different-dealership-76623.html)

akgrown 06-28-2014 04:49 PM

Taking delivery at different dealership?

Hi all,

I'm going to be moving from WA back to AK soon, and will be bringing my 2000 WJ along, but have another vehicle that I'd like to trade in on a 2014 WK2.

My question is: Is it possible to do a trade-in and order a new vehicle from one dealer (here in WA) but have the delivery sent to another dealer (in AK)? I'm just trying to gauge if this is an arrangement that never happens, or causes dealers (on either end) to turn up their noses... My backup plan is to sell to a private party, but I want to see if this other scenario would work.

Sorry if this has been covered here before; my searches came up fruitless.

Appreciate any advice!

Thanks

polizei 06-28-2014 05:38 PM

Re: Taking delivery at different dealership?

Well...since you're going to be ordering it, why not find a dealer in AK with a price you're willing to pay (should be able to get ~4-6% off invoice), and just send them the deposit in the mail and order from then? That way, it'll be delivered to them and you can just pick it up.

I would recommend trying to sell private party, list it at a good price and it'll probably move quick, and more than likely, you'll end up with more money than trading it.

akgrown 06-28-2014 08:11 PM

Thanks, that's good advice. I also just read through the thread about the 2015 WK2 which mentions that the order banks are closed for 2014s and the 2015 diesels aren't available to order until the fall. Missed the boat, I guess!

Dan JGC 06-28-2014 10:31 PM

You can always get a 2014 off the lot...unless you want a 2015 diesel right away.

goodhomer 06-30-2014 01:16 PM

Sounds like your plans may have changed, but if you end up ordering a 2015 you might be able to get the dealerships to agree to a "pass through," where you would order the new car from the AK dealership, and they sell it to the WA dealership. I've done this before where I was buying a car at one dealership, but another dealership (for a different manufacturer) was able to offer more for my trade. I think this is more common when you have a private party buyer for your old car lined up (basically they do the paperwork to save you sales tax by trading it in then immediately selling it to your buyer), but in this case it might also allow you to accomplish what you want. I don't think the AK dealership would ever have to have physical possession of the "trade in." The WA dealership would probably have to think they would be able to make enough money on your trade-in to agree to it. The AK dealership shouldn't care since they are definitely making money on the new car sale. Just a thought.

AKHLK 06-30-2014 02:49 PM

Taking delivery at different dealership?

Not sure about this, but wouldn't you have to pay some sort of sales tax on the vehicle in WA? Do they charge that on vehicles there? No sales tax in Anchorage.

Also, many years ago I worked in administration at a Toyota dealership. We used to do what was called "courtesy deliveries" for lower 48 dealerships. I can't remember exactly how it worked, only that they purchased the vehicle from the other dealership and then picked it up at ours in Anchorage.

SnoFire 06-30-2014 04:50 PM

Yes you can buy from 1 dealership and have it shipped to another dealership, just some hoops to jump through (both dealers have to agree to this) and you might have to pay the receiving dealer some $$ for doing it. Some guys early last year that bought from Koons were going to do it and have it shipped to California where they live but the dealer wanted like $1k to do it.