Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   tools needed for brake job (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/tools-needed-for-brake-job-76772.html)

CLStech 07-02-2014 06:37 PM

tools needed for brake job

Please excuse my ignorance on the subject. Could you guys key me know exactly what I week need to replace the from pads.

I heard it's fairly simple but want to be prepared. Maybe there is a how to or video that I missed while searching.

CLStech 07-02-2014 08:51 PM

This video seems about right. Is it really that easy ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ8Bz_7UM-w&sns=em

Bedding process
How to Bed in Brake Pads:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4adZEf0f9wo

gnasty1521 07-02-2014 11:56 PM

Re: tools needed for brake job

On the 6-pistons, sadly no. If they are worn down a bit they will come out. Just be prepared to fight with them a bit.

You will need a pin punch, then a 14 to loosen the middle bolt for the spring hold down. Also you will need an adjustable wrench to place on the pin to fully pull it out, I hit it with the hammer while the wrench was attached to the pin. After that the pads will pull out, or you will need a small pry bar wrapped in tape to push between the rotor and pad to create room so you can pull them out. After this you can push the pistons in by hand, really.

Two notes, and serious ones at that. 1) Remember how the spring goes, or take pictures, it will confuse you for a while otherwise. 2) The brake pads are symmetrical, so they can be installed backwards, meaning shim and backing plate toward the rotor instead of the compound. Everything else should be straight forward.

DCRSRT 07-03-2014 06:14 AM

Step 1: Don't use a hammer like that to knock out the pins, you'll just damage the paint on the caliper (ask me how I know lol). Use a pin punch if you have one or an old large phillips head screwdriver.

Step 2: Don't use pliers like the ones in the vid (with serrated edges inside) to pull the pins out as you may damage the surface that sits in the caliper body (what they describe as the locking part of the pin).

Step 3: Whilst you can use a flat blade screwdriver to push the pads back, do it slowly and carefully so as not to scratch your rotors. I also suggest pushing the pads ALL the way back thereby compressing the pistons ALL the way back. This will make it much easier to fit your new pads. DONT hammer the pads to get them in, take your time and wriggle them in otherwise you'll just damage your new pads.

Step 4: You will have to apply reasonable pressure on the spring to be able to refit the pins.

The bedding in procedure is the same as what I did. However, be aware that the ceramic pads do take a bit longer to FULLY bed in.

Rob

CLStech 07-03-2014 07:21 AM

Perfect information. Thanks guys.

gnasty1521 07-03-2014 08:08 AM

Let us know how it goes. I am also sure other members would like a DIY thread if you have time to take the pictures.

Schleprock 07-03-2014 09:00 AM

With not many miles or corrosion, per brake, it'll take longer to jack up, take wheel/tire off, put wheel/tire on, remove jack than the actual brake pad changing part.

xJoshxx 07-06-2014 01:55 PM

Paid my Dealer $89 to install pads and rotors! well worth my time they have they special miller tool for pushing the all the pistons in equally.

Zimmermotors which is my dealer also replaced my Clips and Pins and claimed them warranty. Thought they didn't need to be replaced everytime..

CLStech 07-06-2014 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xJoshxx (Post 1047326)
Paid my Dealer $89 to install pads and rotors! well worth my time they have they special miller tool for pushing the all the pistons in equally.

Zimmermotors which is my dealer also replaced my Clips and Pins and claimed them warranty. Thought they didn't need to be replaced everytime..

I'll have to double check dealership prices, I was given a quick labor price of $145

xJoshxx 07-06-2014 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLStech (Post 1047329)
I'll have to double check dealership prices, I was given a quick labor price of $145

Every dealer is different I guess i have decent relationship with mine or atleast the service girl :thumbsup:

CLStech 07-07-2014 10:47 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Tracked down som pics of the install... Should be cake.
Attachment 41993

Attachment 41994

Attachment 41995

Attachment 41996

Attachment 41997

CLStech 07-10-2014 09:43 AM

Gentleman the brake pad swap is super easy the pictures above are all you need.