Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Speaker wiring help, base 6 speaker system (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/speaker-wiring-help-base-6-speaker-system-76802.html)

vice108 07-03-2014 11:01 AM

Speaker wiring help, base 6 speaker system

I have a 2014 Laredo E with uconnect 5 and the base 6 speaker setup. I have a set of Kicker 40CSS694 component speakers I want to install in the front factory locations. I've never installed components before and am a little unsure of the wiring.
1) Do I install the crossovers that come with the kickers or does my head unit already send different signals to the tweeters and woofers?
2) If the answer is "yes, use the crossovers", then do I simply plug into the wires that are now powering my stock 6x9 woofers?

vice108 07-03-2014 09:55 PM

Re: Speaker wiring help, base 6 speaker system

Anyone???

VANT4GE 07-04-2014 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vice108 (Post 1046253)
I have a 2014 Laredo E with uconnect 5 and the base 6 speaker setup. I have a set of Kicker 40CSS694 component speakers I want to install in the front factory locations. I've never installed components before and am a little unsure of the wiring.
1) Do I install the crossovers that come with the kickers or does my head unit already send different signals to the tweeters and woofers?
2) If the answer is "yes, use the crossovers", then do I simply plug into the wires that are now powering my stock 6x9 woofers?

The Laredo E uses the head unit for amplification. There is no external amplifier.

Wire schematic:
http://www.wk2jeeps.com/audio/2014_w...io_diagram.pdf

Right Rear (+) Dark Green w Light Green Stripe
Right Rear (-) Dark Green w Grey Stripe
Left Rear (+) Grey w Light Green Stripe
Left Rear (-) Grey w Dark Green Stripe
Right Front (+) Dark Green w Violet Stripe
Right Front (-) Dark Green w Yellow Stripe
Left Front (+) Grey w Violet Stripe
Left Front (-) Grey w Yellow Stripe

vice108 07-04-2014 01:32 PM

Thank you for responding. So does that mean I just use the crossovers that come with the new kicker speakers and just plug into the original wires for the front 6X9 woofers?

VANT4GE 07-04-2014 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vice108 (Post 1046741)
Thank you for responding. So does that mean I just use the crossovers that come with the new kicker speakers and just plug into the original wires for the front 6X9 woofers?

Yes, i believe that should work. The wiring diagram shows the tweeter using a frequency filter jumper. You should get a full range signal from the 6x9 wires.

The factory head unit clips at around 26, so try not to go too much past that.

jer9969 07-11-2014 04:29 PM

I have little experience with the Uconnect system but as far as general stereo knowledge goes I do have some experience. Here are a few scenarios

1) Existing wiring from your stock speakers. hook up your stock speaker wire directly to your crossovers INPUT. From there, speaker level outputs to tweeters and woofers. Your system might sound better but far from the potential that they can produce without the use of an external amplifier or an aftermarket head unit.

2) Typically an aftermarket head unit can produce 4x45Watts per channel. This would significantly increase the performance and range of any speaker. Will also allow for expansion of an external amp and subwoofer

3) If you want to keep your stock head unit, You also can add an external amplifier with the use of a line level converter (about $15-20). This converts your speaker level wire (stock wire going to one of your speakers) to an input signal. From their you can run RCA cables to your amplifier. From the amp all of the speaker outputs. Note. You lose some control by doing this, but it is an alternative if you want louder and want to keep the look of the stock head unit.

4) The best scenario is Aftermarket head unit and external amplifier.

I hope some of this helps. I am by know means an expert but this might be a start.

good luck

vice108 07-11-2014 05:41 PM

Thanks for the help! I'm to in love with my uconnect system to replace the head unit. I'm going to start with all the speakers and then see if I need need an amp or not.

jer9969 07-11-2014 07:24 PM

A very logical and the least expensive start! I just bought a 2012 JGC Laredo with 6 speaker format and pick it up next week. Already getting ready to start in on the stereo/entertainment overhaul. So I am excited to see what the uconnect is all about.

Additionally, the reason I would use the crossover with your kicker separates is because that crossover is specifically matched to each speaker. And remember more often than not car manufacturers are subcontracting components of their vehicles to the lowest bidders, therefore they usually have the most basic equipment. Unless of course you are buying their flagship model, then they probably won't be so cheap.

vice108 07-11-2014 08:31 PM

Yes, about the cheap basic stereo components. A speaker change in my old 2000 WJ was an epic improvement even with the OEM head unit. Hopefully I'll have similar results with the speaker upgrade in my 2014.

vice108 07-19-2014 09:00 PM

It took a while but I replaced the front speakers and tweeters and also replaced the rear coaxials with a set of kicker coaxials. It sounds sooo much better. I'm very happy. I was surprised to find that it's also louder than the old speakers at any given volume. Also - the kicker tweeters fit perfectly in the factory location and look really sharp. The only downer is that one of my crossovers isn't working correctly. It works at the +6 setting but not at +3 or 0. The other crossover works fine. So until I can get a replacement for that crossover it's set at +6 which is too much.

If you're considering upgrading the base speakers I highly recommend it. There's no need for a different head u it or amp for my needs. It sounds dynamite as is.

1stJeepGC 07-20-2014 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vice108 (Post 1053724)

If you're considering upgrading the base speakers I highly recommend it. There's no need for a different head u it or amp for my needs. It sounds dynamite as is.

Greetings,

Glad you are happy with you new setup.

Best for now.:)