Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Cherokee-KL (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f216/)
-   -   Advice wanted - Trailhawk vs Limited (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f216/advice-wanted-trailhawk-vs-limited-76859.html)

BlueLine 07-05-2014 04:26 PM

Advice wanted - Trailhawk vs Limited

Looking to replace our current vehicle with Cherokee this fall (so 2015 model year) and can't decide between which one to get. Pretty much want it loaded with almost all the options.

If I am correct (newbie here to Jeep) I can get all but locking rear on Limited and all but HID headlights on the TH.

I will likely do very little true off road driving, but will need to go out in all weather, often before plows (live in Northeast so get lots of snow) so want a vehicle that can handle that and some beach driving.

We live in a small town with few street lights and VERY dark roads with wildlife (deer, etc) so will use headlights often and need good ones.

Any thoughts from those who know the capabilities of the Cherokee as to which way is better. Cost is close enough that it is not a factor in the decision.

Would also consider a Wrangler Unlimited but think that would be giving up too much on-road capability for better off road ability that I won't use, and am told its not good for a new driver (child who is getting license next year and will drive vehicle often).

Thank you all in advance.

Desert Hiker 07-05-2014 08:02 PM

Re: Advice wanted - Trailhawk vs Limited

Tires will be different: Touring on Limited and All Terrain on Trailhawk. Check w/ expert on better/worse for winter/snow/ice driving.

Trailhawk also has other off-road features beyond the rear lockers, such as skid plates, slight lift, tow hooks, etc.

HID headlights can be added on Trailhawk using zenondepot kit.

There may other differences - I really needed off-road so didn't check out the Limited.

Good Luck!!!

Desert Hiker

Cherokee63 07-07-2014 08:59 AM

I have the Limited and because I spend 95% of the time on the pavement, comfort and convenience were paramount, so I never even considered the Trailhawk. The HID/Bi-xenon lighting is reasonably good and from what I have heard has a significant advantage over the halogen. Whatever model you get, make sure you get the Tech package as it is a lifesaver. The long beam auto on/off feature works very well in environments such as the one you described.

BlueLine 07-07-2014 09:05 AM

Thank you both. The headlights are something we will use most days while the real off-road driving will be very little of the time (as currently planned).

pfram 07-08-2014 01:01 AM

HID is great for stuff like spotting deer on dark country roads.

You probably don't need the skid plates on the Trailhawk for on-road snow. The limited with the "Active Drive II" option is lifted 1 inch like the Trailhawk which is cool with the Limited's 18" 60R tires.

The Limited has P225 tires vs P245 on the Trailhawk. Narrower tires are better for snow traction in the most common on-road snow conditions. Even P225's aren't that narrow so you will still feel a little more floating now and then.

The Limited gives you something like 39 feet shorter 60 to 0 stopping distance depending on which review you trust. The Trailhawk all-terrain tires and perhaps the added weight are not great for stopping on pavement. Not sure if the AD II extra lift would extend the Limited's stopping distance. Save the deer!

I think the best thing you could do is get a set of winter tires and buy the trim you like best.

BlueLine 07-08-2014 08:40 PM

Thanks for the feedback. True winter tires is something I totally agree with and have always run with 4 dedicated winter tires on all vehicles. Makes a huge difference!