Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   Cooling the Engine Compartment (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/cooling-the-engine-compartment-76958.html)

Truck.Norris 07-08-2014 06:58 PM

Cooling the Engine Compartment

Is there a way, or has anyone ever tried, to cool the engine compartment w/o *major* mods? I was thinking of splitting where enters through the grill. Like half to the CAI and half to the engine. It looks like a straight shot. I could make something outta sheet metal or plastic...

When I get home, if I walk in front of Truck Norris, I feel a lot of heat. I opened the hood, and my CAI is hot (near the reso). I can only touch it for like 6-8 seconds.

The upper rad hose is hot, but I can squeeze it. The temp gauge doesn't get to half way. It's about two notches cooler than half.

I'm really just curious or looking for some ez ways to cool Truck Norris' engine.

Strongjeff 07-08-2014 10:16 PM

Re: Cooling the Engine Compartment

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truck.Norris (Post 1048462)
Is there a way, or has anyone ever tried, to cool the engine compartment w/o *major* mods? I was thinking of splitting where enters through the grill. Like half to the CAI and half to the engine. It looks like a straight shot. I could make something outta sheet metal or plastic...

When I get home, if I walk in front of Truck Norris, I feel a lot of heat. I opened the hood, and my CAI is hot (near the reso). I can only touch it for like 6-8 seconds.

The upper rad hose is hot, but I can squeeze it. The temp gauge doesn't get to half way. It's about two notches cooler than half.

I'm really just curious or looking for some ez ways to cool Truck Norris' engine.

one way, I did this was pull the rubber out from eighter side of the radiator. it should open up a few inches on each side. I can do 120+ and hold it and the temp stays between quarter and half

Truck.Norris 07-09-2014 04:39 AM

I've taken out the rubber on the right, but wasn't sure about the left...

I know there's a 180' thermostat (I know that won't coll under the hood, but it will cool the engine).

Strongjeff 07-09-2014 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truck.Norris (Post 1048650)
I've taken out the rubber on the right, but wasn't sure about the left...

I know there's a 180' thermostat (I know that won't coll under the hood, but it will cool the engine).

By taking out both rubbers you allow more air flow into the engine bay. This help cool it some. A 180 t-stat just means the t stat open at 180 instead of the stock 195. Opening sooner allows coolant to flow thru the radiator at a lower temp point and a cooler engine makes better power. Another good way is to wrap the exhaust to trap heat radiated off the manifolds and mid pipes. This in itself will droo under hood temps significantly.

...All in the name of thermal tuning

Truck.Norris 07-09-2014 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongjeff (Post 1048651)

...All in the name of thermal tuning

I knew there had to be a name for it!!:lol:

I meant to pick up some of the stuff to wrap the CAI yesterday when I picked up my ES bushings, but I was so excited to finally have em that I forgot!!:eek:

Strongjeff 07-09-2014 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truck.Norris (Post 1048652)

I knew there had to be a name for it!!:lol:

I meant to pick up some of the stuff to wrap the CAI yesterday when I picked up my ES bushings, but I was so excited to finally have em that I forgot!!:eek:

Lol it happens. Just dipping into my drag racing experience bro...

Truck.Norris 07-09-2014 05:06 AM

I was thinking of trying to engineer some kind of 5w fans in there -like the kind PCs use. Just gotta find something that's 5w... Then find something of the same weight to remove.:)

Strongjeff 07-09-2014 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truck.Norris (Post 1048656)
I was thinking of trying to engineer some kind of 5w fans in there -like the kind PCs use. Just gotta find something that's 5w... Then find something of the same weight to remove.:)

You could make some heat extractors into the cowling....but id use something a little stronger then 5w. Ive pulled weight out of mine and if i take my stereo stuff out i can have it down under 4200. Take the seats out and it should dip almost to 4k even

Truck.Norris 07-09-2014 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongjeff (Post 1048657)
Take the seats out and it should dip almost to 4k even

Lol. I have kids to schlep around...

I was only using the 5w fans as an example. I didn't think 5w would do much.

Can you elaborate on the heat extractors?

Strongjeff 07-09-2014 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truck.Norris (Post 1048658)

Lol. I have kids to schlep around...

I was only using the 5w fans as an example. I didn't think 5w would do much.

Can you elaborate on the heat extractors?

They are vents in eighter the hood or in the cowling that allow air flow from under the hood to pull heat out of the engine bay. They can be powered by fans or strategically placed for optimal flow so no fans needed. There is also a small aerodynamic advantage to it and it takes out the air "pocket" from under hood. The heat extracting effect becomes magnified at speed.... the faster you go, the better it works

Truck.Norris 07-09-2014 06:13 AM

Cool.
Can it be done by hand (not the hood, but the cowl)?

I was also thinking about some kind of tubing with like a funnel-type attachment placed down my the air dam. It would push/force outside air into the engine compartment, cooling things off in there. The hard part would be fabricating the piece to go into the air dam and connecting to the tube. There're plenty of flexible tubing sources out there.

Strongjeff 07-09-2014 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truck.Norris (Post 1048677)
Cool.
Can it be done by hand (not the hood, but the cowl)?

I was also thinking about some kind of tubing with like a funnel-type attachment placed down my the air dam. It would push/force outside air into the engine compartment, cooling things off in there. The hard part would be fabricating the piece to go into the air dam and connecting to the tube. There're plenty of flexible tubing sources out there.

I think it could be done with some patience....not too sure if you'd really need to route the air with ducting tho....unless you want to make some brake ducts