Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Sound system: Summit vs. Overland (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/sound-system-summit-vs-overland-77162.html)

Jayhawkeye3 07-14-2014 10:30 PM

Sound system: Summit vs. Overland

Is the difference between the two sound systems all that noticeable? Trying to decide if the summit is actually worth the extra price tag, as I don't care all that much for the exterior differences. Audio, however, I do.

Also, does anyone have the DVD System? Not completely sold given the heavy price tag.

TIA!

baracuda 07-14-2014 11:31 PM

Re: Sound system: Summit vs. Overland

i listened to the overland with the wife, and we both agreed it was pretty terrible.

the summit has the HK Logic 7 system in it, which is the same series as the wife's beemer. it sounds awesome in her car, but we didn't get to listen to it in the jeep (yet).

SNUKE 07-14-2014 11:52 PM

Audio preferences are 100% related to your ears and don’t let anyone tell you any different. If you’ve ever gone shopping for speakers for your house, and tried listening to a few in an audio shop, you will come across some massive differences. One set of years loves one brand/model, and another person hates them. The type of music/audio you listen is 100% relevant to this too.
There are some certain facts, such as the sub in the Overland being boomy and uncontrolled. However, maybe that is your thing, so my thoughts on its horrific sound mean nothing. If you like it, then screw what I think. Get into both cars in the same dealership and play the same music, something you know and like and compare them. Tweak the audio settings while there, only a back to back test will really give you an idea of its value to you.

Radknight 07-15-2014 12:50 AM

Snuke is spot on. To some the Overland Alpine System is exactly what they are looking for and then some. For others maybe not.

If it isn't, the H/K System can be worth it as trying to upgrade the Alpine system to the level of the H/K system (or better) takes a lot of time, work and money. Just ask 1stJeepGC who just completed an amazing new SQ system with two, yes two processors to get the sound he wanted.

The beauty of the Summit is that for a bit extra you get a system that doesn't need immediate or intensive upgrading as well as the other goodies that go along with it.

1stJeepGC 07-15-2014 07:10 AM

Greetings,

Both Snuke and Radknight are on the money with their assessment and advise.

I have not really listen to the HK system, only just recently at the last NYIAS last spring. I can not offer any opinion since I did not have any source material to compare it too. However, since it does have the LOGIC 7 in it, the dynamic of the sound is improved over the Alpine system.

Some say it has too much hi-end (terrible). Others love it. In any event, as many have said here along with myself over the years, no two people hear the same.

Yea, I got the JGC with the Alpine back in 2011 and before I purchased I knew the system was not up to my liking, but the JGC is more than a sound system.

Best for now.:)

Hayseed_wk2 07-15-2014 07:38 AM

I tried both. To me the HK system is head and shoulders above the Alpine. I spend 35k miles in my car per year and the sound is important - it was definitely worth it to me.

cancctv 07-15-2014 08:30 AM

I have a 2014 Summit. I love the sound system. I'm so happy that I chose to get this configuration. It puts a smile on my face every time I turn it on. I listen to everything from heavy metal to classical and jazz and everything sounds fantastic. In my opinion headroom is where it's at and the system has plenty. The extra tweeters spread around the car make The highs super crisp and the extra power drives the bass when you need it. My kids say that the sound in the backseat is awesome as well. Definitely well worth the money.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

ssgunner 07-15-2014 04:08 PM

Interesting. My overland sounds great. Compared to my Camaro 2SS which had the bose, the overland is superb. I haven't heard the summit though.

lstowell 07-15-2014 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNUKE (Post 1051511)
Audio preferences are 100% related to your ears and don’t let anyone tell you any different. If you’ve ever gone shopping for speakers for your house, and tried listening to a few in an audio shop, you will come across some massive differences. One set of years loves one brand/model, and another person hates them. The type of music/audio you listen is 100% relevant to this too.
There are some certain facts, such as the sub in the Overland being boomy and uncontrolled. However, maybe that is your thing, so my thoughts on its horrific sound mean nothing. If you like it, then screw what I think. Get into both cars in the same dealership and play the same music, something you know and like and compare them. Tweak the audio settings while there, only a back to back test will really give you an idea of its value to you.

What he said.

And don't use XM as a sound source, or FM. Lets just say they all suck and move on.

Take your best audio source, plus if you have it some test sounds, on a USB key.

The sound system on the Summit is notably better than in the Overland if the best audio available in a vehicle is what makes your checkbook open up.

The CD/DVD takes up your console space, pretty much rendering it useless. If you think you might like it, I'd order it as it is probably easier to remove than to install after purchase.

I didn't consider even the HK system in the Summit worthy of CD grade sources, but then I am a Telarc SACD junkie with subwoofers about half the horsepower of the Jeep for real listening.

lstowell 07-15-2014 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssgunner (Post 1051752)
Interesting. My overland sounds great. Compared to my Camaro 2SS which had the bose, the overland is superb. I haven't heard the summit though.

The Summit is definitely better.
But to me the difference is sorta like a decent boombox compared to an entry level mid-fi system. HK Citation, Meridian, Bower&Wilkins, M&K, Velodyne, it ain't.

1stJeepGC 07-15-2014 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lstowell (Post 1051765)
The Summit is definitely better.
But to me the difference is sorta like a decent boombox compared to an entry level mid-fi system. HK Citation, Meridian, Bower&Wilkins, M&K, Velodyne, it ain't.

Greetings,

Yes, go with the M & K. They are back and in fact check out Ken's new line.

Kreisel Sound

Best for now.:)

Jayhawkeye3 07-15-2014 08:26 PM

Thanks for the input fellas.

Went with the overland and put my extra 3k towards the Hemi :)