Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Changing Power Steering Pump (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/changing-power-steering-pump-7718.html)

jugganator 03-21-2010 06:47 AM

Changing Power Steering Pump

How easy is it to buy a mopar power steering pump, and change it myself?

I took my Jeep down to the Jeep Service Center and as it happens the car didn't make the chewbacca sound, "thanks god"

So anyway, the service center couldn't fix it because the sound could not be replicated, they checked the fluid which was fine, but now my car needs to be taken in for x amount of days so it can "diagnosed" which will cost 72 per hour, and there is no certainty that it will make the sound during that time, which means i could be 200 poorer, and a without a car.

So I was hoping that I could do this myself, is it possible? can someone with relative little car mechanical experience change the pump? Are there any how to videos?

(should add its a 3.0 CRD UK SPEC)

RiverCityWK 03-21-2010 08:52 AM

Re: Changing Power Steering Pump

bump, I need to do mine also

rufdod 03-21-2010 09:11 AM

its not hard if you get the pump with the pulley on it. Its really easy to get to... i ordered mine from the dealership which came with the pulley, i think it was 125, not certain though. I think it was pretty easy to change. If you dont get the pulley already installed then you'll need a special tool to take off the old pulley, it may save a few bucks, but way more of a PITA.

jugganator 03-21-2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rufdod (Post 173317)
its not hard if you get the pump with the pulley on it. Its really easy to get to... i ordered mine from the dealership which came with the pulley, i think it was 125, not certain though. I think it was pretty easy to change. If you dont get the pulley already installed then you'll need a special tool to take off the old pulley, it may save a few bucks, but way more of a PITA.

125? The guy told me it was going to be something like 600.

Comon guys help is needed, anyone fancy a trip to London UK?

06HemiLtd 03-21-2010 01:07 PM

i just changed mine last month. my jeep has 40k miles on it. i have the 5.7L hemi and it uses a different pump than the 3.7L or 4.7L. it cost me around $140 at the dealer and it had the pulley on it. i tried advance auto parts, autozone, o'reillys, and napa and nobody could get me one for the 5.7L. the dealer was my only option. you have to disconnect the reservoir line, take the serpentinte belt off and take out the bolts. the pump is right on top and right in front. easy job. maybe 15 minutes. don't take the serpentine belt off of everything else. make sure you use the correct fluid. i ended up buying the fluid from the dealer. it takes just over 1 quart to fill it. $16/quart at the dealer.

jugganator 03-21-2010 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06HemiLtd (Post 173373)
i just changed mine last month. my jeep has 40k miles on it. i have the 5.7L hemi and it uses a different pump than the 3.7L or 4.7L. it cost me around $140 at the dealer and it had the pulley on it. i tried advance auto parts, autozone, o'reillys, and napa and nobody could get me one for the 5.7L. the dealer was my only option. you have to disconnect the reservoir line, take the serpentinte belt off and take out the bolts. the pump is right on top and right in front. easy job. maybe 15 minutes. don't take the serpentine belt off of everything else. make sure you use the correct fluid. i ended up buying the fluid from the dealer. it takes just over 1 quart to fill it. $16/quart at the dealer.

thanks, will bear this in mind, but and a big but, the 3.0 CRD has a totally different engine layout comapard to the petrol powered HEMI models.

nav18tor 03-22-2010 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jugganator (Post 173292)
How easy is it to buy a mopar power steering pump, and change it myself?

I took my Jeep down to the Jeep Service Center and as it happens the car didn't make the chewbacca sound, "thanks god"

So anyway, the service center couldn't fix it because the sound could not be replicated, they checked the fluid which was fine, but now my car needs to be taken in for x amount of days so it can "diagnosed" which will cost 72 per hour, and there is no certainty that it will make the sound during that time, which means i could be 200 poorer, and a without a car.

So I was hoping that I could do this myself, is it possible? can someone with relative little car mechanical experience change the pump? Are there any how to videos?

(should add its a 3.0 CRD UK SPEC)

My suspicion is that it will be an MB part that may be available from any reliable spares shop

jugganator 03-22-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nav18tor (Post 173975)
My suspicion is that it will be an MB part that may be available from any reliable spares shop

Whats MB?

OK figured it out M-Benz!

You had any issues with your power steering? 28k and a pump issue already! so ****ing annoyed man.

nav18tor 03-22-2010 05:21 PM

May also be worth checking out

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/power-steering...item4cee55d00a

nav18tor 03-22-2010 05:27 PM

Telly is crap so I am surfing

Found this which could be very relevant

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...ump/index.html

And this lot are just south of the river (Thames)

http://www.power-steering.co.uk/category/contact-us/

AcidCold 03-22-2010 05:31 PM

I'm on my fourth! the first time i bought one used and when i got under the jeep, i said.. HELL NO! took it in and saved myself the cursing and bloody knuckles.

nav18tor 03-22-2010 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jugganator (Post 173994)
Whats MB?

OK figured it out M-Benz!

You had any issues with your power steering? 28k and a pump issue already! so ****ing annoyed man.

More info further down

I am surprised at your problems, am on my second Grand Cherokee, the 1st one was a 55 plate and had done 88,000 miles when I got rid having had nothing wear or break. My second one (56 plate) I have had for 6 months and added 14000 miles (now 46000) and again, no problems

And Yes Mercedes Benz, I think the motor will have been shipped with all ancilleries including PAS pump and I would be very surprised if it has failed at the low mileage you mention