Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   eBay Intake turned out quite the deal haha (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/ebay-intake-turned-out-quite-the-deal-haha-77188.html)

RandomActs13x 07-15-2014 08:41 PM

eBay Intake turned out quite the deal haha

So I got this "true" cold air intake off of eBay for about $70, free shipping. It comes with polished piping with either red or blue couplers and tubing. the filter is a pretty solid filter and seems very comparable to K&N. The install went perfect, had to cut the rubbing tubing a little bit (a lot of excess) but otherwise went very easy. It feels and looks very high quality, without a doubt. And it sits down in the fender like a true CAI should. The sound it makes when you rev is very nice as well. I don't have any complaints or regrets about purchasing this over the $300 brand-name product.

Jeepster13 07-23-2014 09:58 PM

Re: eBay Intake turned out quite the deal haha

Which one did you get?

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage

Strongjeff 07-24-2014 12:56 AM

need to see a pic. ill tell you if its a true CAI or not

JeepFreak12 07-24-2014 05:58 AM

Pictures or it didn't happen!

RandomActs13x 07-24-2014 09:18 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongjeff (Post 1055733)
need to see a pic. ill tell you if its a true CAI or not

this is the system i bought... i figured it would be a POS with the price but it turned out to work very nicely. The only issues with it were the straight pipe was a bit long so I had to cut it down about 1 inch, and thats where the found out that the material used was a pretty good quality and thickness. The blue line is a bit loose and flimbsy so I used some scissors and cut that back about 6 inches and theres no good way to support it so I used the clamp as a support. Same for the system mount and you can see in the primary elbow down to the filter. No good mounting spots so I improvised as best as possible. As far as functionality... I'd say its worth NOT spending 200-300 on a brand name system.

Jeep Grand Cherokee 5 7 5 7L 6 1 6 1L Hemi SRT8 V8 Cold Air Intake 05 2009 Blue | eBay

RandomActs13x 07-24-2014 09:26 AM

I also purchased an Airaid pre-filter from Jegs to keep water out of the filter.

The filter it came with was a good K&N quality filter. And over the years i've always used K&N on all my cars... the DD's and the track cars... and this filter was very close in quality.

Strongjeff 07-24-2014 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandomActs13x (Post 1055809)
this is the system i bought... i figured it would be a POS with the price but it turned out to work very nicely. The only issues with it were the straight pipe was a bit long so I had to cut it down about 1 inch, and thats where the found out that the material used was a pretty good quality and thickness. The blue line is a bit loose and flimbsy so I used some scissors and cut that back about 6 inches and theres no good way to support it so I used the clamp as a support. Same for the system mount and you can see in the primary elbow down to the filter. No good mounting spots so I improvised as best as possible. As far as functionality... I'd say its worth NOT spending 200-300 on a brand name system.

Jeep Grand Cherokee 5 7 5 7L 6 1 6 1L Hemi SRT8 V8 Cold Air Intake 05 2009 Blue | eBay

well it could stand to be a little lower but, for 70$ that is not bad at all. you probably could make a bracket to mount it better but it don't look bad.

RandomActs13x 07-25-2014 05:28 AM

Those are my thoughts as well. But for $70 and a couple tweaks... worth not spending the money on brand name IMO

Laredo2006 07-25-2014 10:48 PM

A bit out of context, but would a cold air intake cool or drop a couple of degrees, the temp of my engine compartment while driving?

Strongjeff 07-25-2014 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laredo2006 (Post 1056772)
A bit out of context, but would a cold air intake cool or drop a couple of degrees, the temp of my engine compartment while driving?

It wont drop the air temp inside the engine comp. But it will allow your engine to bring colder air into it

Laredo2006 07-25-2014 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongjeff (Post 1056777)
It wont drop the air temp inside the engine comp. But it will allow your engine to bring colder air into it

Would get one if you wanted a cooler engine while driving?

Just curious as to how to get more cold air in the whole engine compartment, some say spacers on hood.

Strongjeff 07-25-2014 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laredo2006 (Post 1056778)

Would get one if you wanted a cooler engine while driving?

Just curious as to how to get more cold air in the whole engine compartment, some say spacers on hood.

It wont cool the engine down. The engine will draw cooler air into it as the filter is away from the hotter air under the hood. I advise against hood spacers. One thing you can do is pull the rubber flaps from eighter side of the radiator