Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/)
-   -   sirius radio (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/sirius-radio-7722.html)

Motteler621 03-21-2010 01:09 PM

sirius radio

Im thinking of adding sirius or xm radio to my wj. I have a couple questions for the guys with it. Should I get sirius or xm and can some people who have installed them in their wj's give me some information as to were you mount the antenna. I have the alpine 9886 deck and it is sirius radio capable. Thanks guys.

jeepster23 03-21-2010 01:25 PM

Re: sirius radio

Sirius and XM are basically the same thing now. You can get a sirius radio with all of sirius programming and all of XM programing too and vice versa. There are different packages available depending on what you want for programming just chect it out at either sirius or Xm online.

Motteler621 03-21-2010 02:50 PM

ok, so does anyone recommend a sirius radio over others? Also what is the best place as far as price to buy them.

Motteler621 03-21-2010 03:39 PM

well im thinking of getting the sportster 5 over coverting my alpine. I have a alpine 9886 receiver which I can add the coversion kit to make the satelite radio work through that deck but Im not sure if it will show the same amount of text as using the sportster5 deck for satelite. They are both almost the same price. Can some people chime in on this subject?

LTrainGC 03-21-2010 04:07 PM

Personally I would just go through the Alpine instead of wiring up the plug-n-play kit and having to find somewhere to mount it.

jeepster23 03-21-2010 04:22 PM

I agree its a cleaner look to go through the Alpine, but if you want mobility they have units you can use as like a walkman and then dock them in the jeep which is nice also. It is all up to you and your preferences.

Unholyskorn86 03-21-2010 04:24 PM

Yeah I would DEF go with through the Alpine. Doesn't it have scrolling text? It will scroll the entire track/artist if so...

Motteler621 03-21-2010 04:53 PM

hmm ok, I might go through the alpine now. Does it sound the same both ways or does one sound better than the other? I was thinking of doing something like this in the picture below. Can he not add sirius through his factory deck or something?

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...IMG_0283-1.jpg

jeepster23 03-21-2010 04:57 PM

It sounds the same both ways but is a much cleaner look to run it through the Alpine. I have no idea why that guy did it that way?

LTrainGC 03-21-2010 05:35 PM

It will sound much better directly connected through the Alpine unless you use a direct connection from the plug-n-play radio to the headunit i.e. through an aux input on the headunit (which is what I assume you would do instead of using the FM connection).

I had a plug and play unit in my 05 with the REC navigation because it just made more sense cost wise. The OEM mopar sirius receiver and install kit together is like 300-500 bucks, plus if you want to do it right you have to drill to install the antenna.

I got my XM Onyx on sale for $20 directly from XM and spent maybe $20 on install materials to get it hardwired and directly connected to the REC headunit.

JETLIFE 03-21-2010 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepster23 (Post 173455)
It sounds the same both ways but is a much cleaner look to run it through the Alpine. I have no idea why that guy did it that way?

Because I already had the Sportster 5, And I have an open AUX input from my Ipod connection. I mounted it there, Because I don't like it stuck to my windshield blocking my driver side tweeter.

And the Jeep Sirius kit is $400...plus drill holes in my roof! No thanks :rolleyes:

Motteler621 03-21-2010 08:27 PM

yea the alpine conversion kit is 120 from crutchfield. I think you still have to mount an antenna on top of the roof either way, right? but you can just put that under the weatherstrip at the top of the rear hatch.