Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Other Rides (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f21/)
-   -   Looking at a 2015 Outback- comments? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f21/looking-at-a-2015-outback-comments-77558.html)

Kayak83 07-27-2014 10:51 AM

Looking at a 2015 Outback- comments?

I'm debating trading in my '06 Limited WK for a 2015 Outback. I'm curious if anybody around here has experience with the Subaru. I'd love some feedback on reliability (please be better than my Jeep). Also interested in real world feedback on how well the all wheel drive performs.

I've driven both the 2.5 (4 cyl) and the 3.6l (6 cyl) this weekend. The 3.6l was a little peppier and throatier but the 2.5 didn't feel inadequate by any means. 2.5 also gets better mpg's. I'll have this car for the next hopefully 6-7 years (or more!) and gas will only get more $$$.

I don't tow anything ever. I have a kayak and a mountain bike I haul around so roof rails are good enough for my needs. I also ski and have a family cabin up a pretty intense road in the winter months that ices up and get quite a bit of snow. Even when plowed it can be pretty slick in my Jeep.

macfan 07-27-2014 11:41 AM

Re: Looking at a 2015 Outback- comments?

My only comment is that I won't buy a vehicle who's company headquarters is not in the US and/or is not built by UAW represented workers. And don't give me the bit about Chrysler/Fiat not be headquartered in the US. Chrysler headquarters is still just a few miles form me in Auburn Hills, Michigan.

Kayak83 07-27-2014 11:43 AM

It's a world economy. I don't have a problem buying something not headquartered in the USA. Even USA manufacturers have plenty of parts outsourced.

macfan 07-27-2014 11:46 AM

Each to their own. I buy what supports my family, relatives, and community.

macfan 07-27-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayak83 (Post 1057398)
It's a world economy. I don't have a problem buying something not headquartered in the USA. Even USA manufacturers have plenty of parts outsourced.

I will tell you my real problem with your statement. My 92 year old mom was the executive secretary for the president of Desoto during WWII time. The Dodge and Desoto were built on the same assembly line. She tells the story of the day the Federal Government came in and took over the plant to build war vehicles. The question she keeps asking is that if we ever got into another REAL war is Honda, Toyota, Subaru, etc going to build our war machines for us? Something to seriously think about if we get too dependent on foreign companies.

Kayak83 07-27-2014 12:06 PM

Not looking for pro-USA comments here. Not worried about who's gonna build our war machines...

I just want to know if anybody has experience with a subaru Outback...

Scottina06 07-27-2014 12:06 PM

I think subarus are pretty reliable if you can get past the polarizing looks. They still look like and have 90s tech IMHO. Not much tech to mess up...

MDBones 07-27-2014 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macfan (Post 1057404)
I will tell you my real problem with your statement. My 92 year old mom was the executive secretary for the president of Desoto during WWII time. The Dodge and Desoto were built on the same assembly line. She tells the story of the day the Federal Government came in and took over the plant to build war vehicles. The question she keeps asking is that if we ever got into another REAL war is Honda, Toyota, Subaru, etc going to build our war machines for us? Something to seriously think about if we get too dependent on foreign companies.

If it comes to that, I suspect that the Feds will take over the US Honda, Toyota, Subaru, etc., plants much the same way as they did in WWII. Who owns them will mean nothing in a scenario like that.

Kayak83 07-27-2014 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 1057408)
I think subarus are pretty reliable if you can get past the polarizing looks. They still look like and have 90s tech IMHO. Not much tech to mess up...

Thank you, Scott. I wasn't really sold on the looks but I JUST saw the slight facelift in the 2015's and I was pretty pleased, actually.

Edit: As for tech specs. It has lane assist and from what I gather, a pretty start of the art "eyesight" collision detection system.

Scottina06 07-27-2014 12:12 PM

I just read a review on the 2015 legacy. Not a bad review and the looks are a tad better. But they tend to get old in looks quick...which I think hurts resale. They actually liked the NAV in thr legacy but said it was still years behind others.

Kayak83 07-27-2014 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 1057411)
I just read a review on the 2015 legacy. Not a bad review and the looks are a tad better. But they tend to get old in looks quick...which I think hurts resale. They actually liked the NAV in thr legacy but said it was still years behind others.

I was actually debating skipping the Nav all-together but on the 3.6l the Nav comes with the moonroof, which I want. I'd almost prefer an aftermarket Nav ( saves $$$ and has better features) but I DO like factory finish.

The interiors are redesigned for this year. I sat in both a 2014 and 2015 yesterday and materials were nicer in the 2015. Although this is coming from my 2006 Limited, where everything is PLASTIC. lol. No squeaks, clunks, etc. New car syndrome at the moment ;).

bill_de 07-27-2014 12:25 PM

One of my neighbors has 2 Subaru's, one being an Outback. He says he is very happy with both and when the oldest one needs replacing it will be another Subaru.

I've ridden in, but never drove the Outback. It rides nice.

___