Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Painting the fender flares and bumpers on a 14 limited (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/painting-the-fender-flares-and-bumpers-on-a-14-limited-77762.html)

14GCL 07-31-2014 10:20 AM

Painting the fender flares and bumpers on a 14 limited

Just talked to the people at the local body shop that have been doing work for me for a couple years. They said the black trim isn't paintable.

Had anyone painted the trim?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

macfan 07-31-2014 11:11 AM

Re: Painting the fender flares and bumpers on a 14 limited

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14GCL (Post 1059843)
Just talked to the people at the local body shop that have been doing work for me for a couple years. They said the black trim isn't paintable.

Try Forever Black. It is available on eBay and at automotive speciality shops. It is a black dye that you apply with a foam brush. It is supposed to last two to three years. The You Tube videos are quite interesting and informative. This is not the Back to Black type stuff that wears off after the first car wash. If you go this route be sure to get the latest formula. The negative reviews that are out there are from earlier formulas that came with an old shoe polish type applicator. Enough comes in one package (enough to give two coats) along with a bottle of pre cleaner to do one Jeep and should cost around $15. Applies quickly if you use painter's tape to mask things off first. I have no connection to the company.

pinetar 07-31-2014 11:18 AM

Quote:

I'm dumbfounded that a paint place claims it can't be painted. All they have to do is sand/primer it and bingo-bango, it's ready to paint. Lots of people have done it here.

rtadams1 07-31-2014 11:18 AM

The current black plastic trim is not exactly paintable if you want something to last.

I have a limited as well and my new painted wheel wells are being painted/installed today by my dealer. I bought them from just for jeeps as a kit (search overland wheel flares).

In the future I'll look for the other trim pieces, especially the front and rear bumper. I'm not to worried about the rocker panels. Hope that helps.
Quote:

FHLH 07-31-2014 11:26 AM

what about black bedliner?

14GCL 07-31-2014 11:42 AM

I want to paint them silver to match the truck.

pinetar 07-31-2014 11:45 AM

Proof it can be done, on a silver specifically:

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/anyon...tml#post677093

rtadams1 07-31-2014 08:38 PM

Here is a picture of mine just back from the dealer today. They took off the black plastic and replaced them with the Overland wheel wells. I like the painted look, especially on a lighter truck. I'll do the front and rear bumper in the future as well.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...7-31202123.jpg

14GCL 08-01-2014 08:12 AM

How much were the fenders? Did they come painted?

14GCL 08-01-2014 08:16 AM

Rtadams1... Do u have the part numbers?

rtadams1 08-01-2014 08:29 AM

Fenders were $285 from Just for Jeeps .com. Search for Overland wheel flares, part #WK2Flares (6 pieces total).
$350 for paint and installation from the dealer. I could have done the install which would have cut down on the price but I just don't have time right now.

RedDragon 08-02-2014 04:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 43475

I had all my trim painted. They had to replace all the clips but other than that the body shop said it was easy.