Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Tpms (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/tpms-7793.html)

1 GRAND 03-23-2010 01:24 PM

Tpms

My right rear wheel is not reading pressure. The tire is aired to correct inflation, and after I drive about a mile or so I get a message that says service tpms. From the way it looks I just need to replace the sensor for the right rear wheel.

My question is... Is it just the valve stem assembly on the wheel itself that I need to replace? I moved the bad sensor wheel to the front and it reads bad on the front too so I am assuming it's the wheel. Can I just pick up one of these from ebay? What is the going cost on these things?

Matt 03-23-2010 01:29 PM

Re: Tpms

I had the same message come up 2 days ago (same wheel too, lol), but it went away after about 15 minutes.

I'm curious too though.

jonjoek 03-23-2010 04:21 PM

Just had the very samem thing happen to me. The vavle cracked due to corrosion caused by the steel/alluminium reacting (stupid design). My local dealer (i am in the UK) told me there is no user replaceable parts in the the individual sensor and the whole thing needs replacing. However each of the sensors are uniquly programed into the cars VIN so you can buy from eBay but the dealer needs to program it in. Over here in the UK it looks like i have no choice but buy from the dealer, not sure if its the same in "free" world??

Jon

White WK Swagga 03-23-2010 04:22 PM

Will the TPMS from like an 05 WK work on an 09 WK???

robpp 03-23-2010 05:22 PM

^^^^ no. there are like 3-4 different ones for the Model Years.

robpp 03-23-2010 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonjoek (Post 174914)
Just had the very samem thing happen to me. The vavle cracked due to corrosion caused by the steel/alluminium reacting (stupid design). My local dealer (i am in the UK) told me there is no user replaceable parts in the the individual sensor and the whole thing needs replacing. However each of the sensors are uniquly programed into the cars VIN so you can buy from eBay but the dealer needs to program it in. Over here in the UK it looks like i have no choice but buy from the dealer, not sure if its the same in "free" world??

Jon

maybe we are lucky as you say but . I bought 4 sensors from Red Rocker on here. I put them in my new wheels. Never even got one warning or light on. No DEALER PROGRAMMING NEEDED.

also. while the threaded part that cracked for you is not replaceable, there are 2 seals, one inside, one outside the rim that SHOULD be replaced everytime you install them. and also there is a valve core that can be serviced.

NEVER put metal caps on TPMS.

DJ BoNiOmArIo 03-23-2010 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 174955)
maybe we are lucky as you say but . I bought 4 sensors from Red Rocker on here. I put them in my new wheels. Never even got one warning or light on. No DEALER PROGRAMMING NEEDED.

also. while the threaded part that cracked for you is not replaceable, there are 2 seals, one inside, one outside the rim that SHOULD be replaced everytime you install them. and also there is a valve core that can be serviced.

NEVER put metal caps on TPMS.

why never metal caps ??? I'm curious on that one ...
----------------------

On ur TPMS problem you have to switch out the whole thing and no programming needed except for spare tire ...

robpp 03-23-2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boniomario (Post 174960)
why never metal caps ??? I'm curious on that one ...
----------------------

On ur TPMS problem you have to switch out the whole thing and no programming needed except for spare tire ...

different metals react with each other. from above "steel/alluminium reacting (stupid design) " and the weld themselves together. so you try to remove the cap, and its bonded to the threaded part of the tpms. tpms is SHOT.

robpp 03-23-2010 05:36 PM

here is the science side of it:

CORROSION: GALVANONIC CORROSION

Definition:
When two different metals are immersed in a corrosive solution, each will develop a corrosion potential. If the corrosion potential of the two metals is significantly different, and they are in direct contact and immersed in an electrolyte, the more noble metal will become the cathode and the more active metal will become the anode. A measurable current may flow between the anode and the cathode. The corrosion rate of the anode will be increased and the cathode decreased. The increased corrosion of the anode is called "galvanic corrosion".

Requirements for Galvanic Corrosion:
In order for galvanic corrosion to occur, three elements are required.

1) Dissimilar metals
2) Metal-to-metal contact
3) Metals in the same conduction solution (usually called an electrolyte)

This can be air/water or moisture no just "solutions".

If any of these elements is missing, galvanic corrosion cannot occur. If, for example, the direct contact between the two metals is prevented (plastic washer, paint film etc.) there cannot be galvanic corrosion.

DJ BoNiOmArIo 03-23-2010 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 174962)
different metals react with each other. from above "steel/alluminium reacting (stupid design) " and the weld themselves together. so you try to remove the cap, and its bonded to the threaded part of the tpms. tpms is SHOT.

thanks for the great info Rob

robpp 03-23-2010 06:44 PM

if you feel lucky, you could use something to make the barrier so the science doesnt happen. anti-sieze is a good thing to use. could be a bit messy but if you feel like you MUST have some metal caps..........

its the same reason why I was taught to always use anti-sieze on spark plugs.

rvtifer 03-24-2010 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonjoek (Post 174914)

Jon

I think you are being taken for a ride. The system is the same as WK's but all WH (2005-2010) work on specific 433Mhz sensor. Part number is 68001698AB and, as all other WK sensors, this one is sold individually and not in complete sets as your stealership story would make you believe.