Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Nokian WR G3 SUV (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/nokian-wr-g3-suv-78185.html)

2string1 08-12-2014 12:58 PM

Nokian WR G3 SUV

I have the stock Goodyear 265/50/20" tires on right now. I looked at a Nokian WR G3 SUV " same size and it is about 1" maybe 1 1/2" wider. Why is this if they are the same size by numbers. Being 1 maybe 1 1/2 inches wider than the stock Goodyears, will they fit OK without rubbing on my 2012 Overland? Has anyone had experience with these tires?
Nokian WRG3 SUV - Nokian Tyres is introducing the rugged, high-performance Nokian WR G3 SUV all-weather tire for varied use on sports utility vehicles. / Nokian Tyres

lstowell 08-12-2014 02:10 PM

Re: Nokian WR G3 SUV

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2string1 (Post 1065961)
I have the stock Goodyear 265/50/20" tires on right now. I looked at a Nokian WR G3 SUV " same size and it is about 1" maybe 1 1/2" wider. Why is this if they are the same size by numbers. Being 1 maybe 1 1/2 inches wider than the stock Goodyears, will they fit OK without rubbing on my 2012 Overland? Has anyone had experience with these tires?
Nokian WRG3 SUV - Nokian Tyres is introducing the rugged, high-performance Nokian WR G3 SUV all-weather tire for varied use on sports utility vehicles. / Nokian Tyres

The WRG3 is a good all around tire... but if you live where you get heavy snow or need to drive on ice, you might want to check out the Nokian hardcore winter Hakkapeliitta tires that hold ice speed records.
If studs are legal, the factory studded ones come with trapezoidal studs built right into the tread. Only thing I've ever found that can beat a Hakka studded is tire chains or tank style treads.

2string1 08-12-2014 02:57 PM

I'm worried about them rubbing?

Jim_in_PA 08-12-2014 03:05 PM

Where are you finding the width specification for that Nokian...I seem to be missing it on the site you linked to. A 265-50-20 shouldn't deviate that much in physical size. (The downloadable tire guide doesn't have the WRG3-SUV in it)

2string1 08-12-2014 03:44 PM

It's not on a site. I went to a tire dealer who had one in stock. We took it outside and placed it next to the Goodyear. Noticed it was wider so we measure it. It's about 1 to 1 1/2 inches wider. Hard to be exact with it being off the rim.

silvermax04 08-12-2014 04:08 PM

As long as you are buying a 265/50/20 id be very surprised if you had any type of rubbing issues. I looked at those very closely when I was buying and would have bought those if I had a climate with more snow to contend with. they look like about the best choice for handling winter of a tire that you leave on year round and do not change out like you do dedicated snow tires. id say get them if they rub then you take them back because they should not if you buy that size.

2string1 08-12-2014 04:17 PM

Thanks they did say they would take them back if they rub. Do you know what the mileage wear is on these are? I don't see it and I also wonder if they will be noisey?

silvermax04 08-12-2014 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2string1 (Post 1066054)
Thanks they did say they would take them back if they rub. Do you know what the mileage wear is on these are? I don't see it and I also wonder if they will be noisey?

Actually that was one of the questions I had when I was looking and I emailed Nokian and asked them. The first thing I was looking for in a tire was a smooth and quiet all season highway tire. They gave me an honest reply, below is a portion of what they sent

"The WR G3 is a winter rated tire that is designed to be used year round. It will be great in winter weather but it’s not the quietest or smoothest tire we make. It received a sore of good in consumer reports for noise but an all season or summer tire would be smother and quieter. The tradeoff is that it will not provide winter weather traction like the WR G3."

So from that I took that it is not likely one of the quietest in the category but I doubt it would be considered loud or noisy probably more middle of the pack concerning noise. Interesting he referenced consumer reports which gave it a medium rating for noise and high marks to the Michelin for noise which is the one I ended up getting to replace the god awful Bridgestones. very happy with the Michelins although I doubt they will be as good in winter driving as the WR G3. Its all about where you want to place your priorities. No tire does everything perfect you just have to pick the ones that are best for your type of usage.

2string1 08-12-2014 04:43 PM

It's to bad nobody has these so I can get real hands on opinion... Thanks

silvermax04 08-12-2014 05:02 PM

people on here used them take a look here

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/new-tire-73032.html

Jake07WK 08-13-2014 08:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2string1 (Post 1066069)
It's to bad nobody has these so I can get real hands on opinion... Thanks

Here are a couple pics of my Nokians.

Attachment 44099

Attachment 44098

1stJeepGC 08-13-2014 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvermax04 (Post 1066064)
Its all about where you want to place your priorities. No tire does everything perfect you just have to pick the ones that are best for your type of usage.

Greetings,

Elegantly stated.

I choose the Nokian Rotiva AT because I wanted to have the capability for off-road usage. Otherwise, if I did not need the off-road usage, I would have ended up with the Nokian WR G2 at that time. The WR series has better traction than the AT tires for winter conditions. The next step up is their dedicated winter tires.

After having the Michelin Latitude as the OEM tire and then going to the BFG Rugged Terrain, as the saying goes, Michelin left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Many that I have talked too have excellent results with Michelin M/S2. For me, winter is a priority and Nokian has a huge advantage in that department.

Besides winter conditions, I also looked for the wet conditions and dry conditions. To me, these are the three important considerations in a tire. And this is subject to where I go with the JGC. Their are so many good tires out their and is important to do your research that the tire meets your needs.

Best for now.:)