Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Help with purchasing a used WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/help-with-purchasing-a-used-wk2-78261.html)

Krazykay5487 08-14-2014 09:58 PM

Help with purchasing a used WK2

I'm looking to get an new Overland but the out the door price is higher than I would like to pay. So I found a used 2014 Overland, Black on Black with 5,500 or so miles. Sale price I worked out with them is $37,000 even but its out of state and they said I would have to take care of the taxes, tags, ect... with my DMV. What do you guys think? The car is kinda far I've only seen pics

MDBones 08-15-2014 08:57 AM

Re: Help with purchasing a used WK2

You're leaving information out... what engine and any additional options does it have?

Go out to KBB or Edmunds and find out what the fair market price is for the area in which the vehicle is located and then you'll know if it's a good deal or not.

Krazykay5487 08-15-2014 09:07 AM

My bad its a V6 with no additional options in the DC area.

Ive never heard of a dealership letting the customer take care of the taxes and tags on their own.

MDBones 08-15-2014 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krazykay5487 (Post 1067564)
My bad its a V6 with no additional options in the DC area.

Ive never heard of a dealership letting the customer take care of the taxes and tags on their own.

If you're an out of state buyer then that responsibilty usually falls on you. If the dealer is close to a state border and gets a lot of out of state buyers then they'll sometimes handle it for you.

04JGCLMTD47 08-15-2014 10:24 AM

I would personally never pay that much for a vehicle that I have not touched, smelled, heard and drove first. Look at the troubleshooting forum and see all the issues one can possibly have with vibrations at highway speeds, transmission issues, wheel bearing issues, electrical issues, bad TIPMs, interior water leaks, etc.. Gotta wonder, Why did someone trade in a Jeep with 5500 miles??
Good luck on your future purchase! :thumbsup:

Jim_in_PA 08-15-2014 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04JGCLMTD47 (Post 1067595)
Gotta wonder, Why did someone trade in a Jeep with 5500 miles??

Bingo! If it wasn't a demonstrator, I'd want it checked out thoroughly and also want to know the build date, etc. Early MY14 production had some, um...things needing adjusting...

MOFSTEEL 08-15-2014 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krazykay5487 (Post 1067564)

I agree with the response above. I've bought a few cars site unseen from others states and I always needed to register the car locally to pay taxes/obtain license plates.

polizei 08-15-2014 04:31 PM

Heck no! Early builds are well known to have plenty of issues, having only 5,500 miles is a big red flag IMO. It COULD be just fine, but it also could be a lemon.

While the Overland is a bit higher trim, you can get a new Limited for the same price. My new 2014 Limited v6 with 8.4A was $36k.

Krazykay5487 08-15-2014 09:26 PM

Thanks for all the help, I'm going to keep looking around...Maybe ill take a trip up to that dealer on one of my days off.

04JGCLMTD47 08-16-2014 12:20 PM

What's the name of the dealership? I'm in Northern Va.

SouthDakota 08-16-2014 01:27 PM

My wife and I purchased a used 2014 Limited with Lux II and nav earlier this year. It had about 35000 miles on it, which at first told me the previous owner was probably the kind of guy/gal that doesn't keep a vehicle longer than the bumper-to-bumper warranty. Turns out I was half right... it was a long-term rental from Enterprise. They really took care of the car though.

It is a March 2013 build, but the only issue I've seen is the tailgate doesn't line up perfectly with the taillights. One side is a little under the taillight, and the other is about equal. This is a known issue with earlier builds, and I have to actually look for it to see it, not easily noticeable on mine. We have not experienced any of the other issues mentioned for early builds.

I echo the others' concerns though... 5500 miles may just mean the previous owner got over his head on payments and traded it back in, or it may mean that there are serious problems with it and he wanted to get rid of it. Definitely test drive thoroughly before agreeing to anything.

Vrrooom 08-16-2014 03:51 PM

There are MANY people that buy all sorts of vehicles and trade them in for various reasons with very low miles. And cars like that are more common in some areas. Don't let that he the deciding factor on turning away from the Jeep.

I would recommend, as with any used car anyone could purchase, is to be thorough in your inspection and gather a list of common issues and pay extra attention to see if the vehicle you're looking at has those issues. If it doesn't, you're most likely fine. Do your carfax and homework to make sure it wasn't a buy back. You can also request service records from the dealer to see what issues it has had and for other warranty items.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage