Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/)
-   -   If anyone is looking for a component set... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/if-anyone-is-looking-for-a-component-set-7831.html)

Matt 03-24-2010 09:42 AM

If anyone is looking for a component set...

http://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-RSD6CS...5554596&sr=1-1

These are incredible for the money. They rival $300 sets.

I have absolutely zero use for it and I'm thinking about getting a set for the slight chance I may want to go back to a passive stereo in the future.

B.P.O.D 03-24-2010 12:16 PM

Re: If anyone is looking for a component set...

wowow matt that is a fawking steal!

Matt 03-24-2010 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B.P.O.D (Post 175508)
wowow matt that is a fawking steal!

I know man! I'm so tempted to buy a set and keep it in the closet, lol.

B.P.O.D 03-24-2010 12:38 PM

hahaha me too! no need for BA if i have this:)

Matt 03-24-2010 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B.P.O.D (Post 175520)
hahaha me too! no need for BA if i have this:)

yup! LOL

DJ BoNiOmArIo 03-24-2010 12:55 PM

man that's a steal !!!

Matt for a noob like me we talked about the woofer setup ... which one would be better to buy these and just plug them in where the factory cardboards are at ???

I am ready to click the button now LOL :D

SeattleWK 03-24-2010 01:01 PM

Very interesting... I've been contemplating going with a component setup or something similar to Matt's setup with a full-range in the dash and midbass in the door. I'm thinking this may be the cost-effective way to go for the time-being, especially considering I don't have a sophisticated crossover network to properly control raw drivers.

Has anybody had success with tweeters in the dash position? I imagine I would go either there or mounted to sail panels.

Matt 03-24-2010 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boniomario (Post 175530)
man that's a steal !!!

Matt for a noob like me we talked about the woofer setup ... which one would be better to buy these and just plug them in where the factory cardboards are at ???

I am ready to click the button now LOL :D

No, you'd need an aftermarket amplifier for these. For a couple reasons;

1. Factory amplifier has a crossover network, so both the dash speakers and the door speakers are not receiving a full-range signal. This is (for all intensive purposes) a full range component set.
  2. Power. The passive crossover robs about 15% -20% of the power before it even reaches either the mid woofer or the tweeter. The factory amplifier probably wouldn't have enough juice to get these suckers kicking.

Matt 03-24-2010 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleWK (Post 175535)
Very interesting... I've been contemplating going with a component setup or something similar to Matt's setup with a full-range in the dash and midbass in the door. I'm thinking this may be the cost-effective way to go for the time-being, especially considering I don't have a sophisticated crossover network to properly control raw drivers.

Has anybody had success with tweeters in the dash position? I imagine I would go either there or mounted to sail panels.

I had an awful experience with my tweeters in the factory dash location, but that may have been a result of poor tuning. Others have had good results using a passive component setup in the dash location. Timmy mounted both his mid and tweeter in the door location (made a baffle to accommodate both). So there are a few options.

If you get an amplifier that has versatile crossovers, I still think most here would be happier with a wide-band in the dash, and a mid woofer in the door. But... most amplifiers I have come across don't have versatile enough crossovers.

I'd prefer;

Channel 1/2 (dash speakers): 400hz-->
Channel 3/4 (mid woofers): 80hz-300hz

Or something similar. Most have fixed 12db/oct slopes.