Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   99 grand cherokee limited 4.7 cutting out (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/99-grand-cherokee-limited-4-7-cutting-out-7859.html)

bom25s 03-25-2010 05:14 AM

99 grand cherokee limited 4.7 cutting out

I have a 99 grand cherokee limited with the 4.7L. it seems to cut out while going down the road. it has not thrown any codes. I have gone after battery cables & connections have checked ground wires to top of motor, and today I will go after changing the fuel filter. does anyone have any ideas?:confused::(

Unholyskorn86 03-25-2010 06:08 AM

Re: 99 grand cherokee limited 4.7 cutting out

CPS maybe?

StoneCold 03-25-2010 07:49 AM

CPS should throw up code 0320 if I recall correctly and the check engine light should come on.

bom25s 03-28-2010 06:52 PM

ok changed fuel filter (not the problem) still no codes, but after driving it again, i paid a little more attention, and it seems to rn fine when cool but after it warms up it starts to cut out, and the longer it runs the worse it gets. would it still be the cps? I would think that the cps would do it all the time. anybody had this problem or know what it is?:confused::confused::confused::confused:

StoneCold 03-29-2010 04:16 AM

My CPS went a few months back and it was intermittant at first. It cut out completely once, at a junction of all places! But I ran it for about a week after. There would be the odd moment where there was a small blip in the running of the engine, the light would come on. Then one day there was a real jolt from the engine, felt like I'd been rear ended. So took it to the stealership (I'd decided I wasn't going to attempt replacing it as access looked pretty difficult and I didn't have the time).

Long story short, got it replaced and never had any problems since. Can't say for sure if temperature effected it, but it did only happen when the engine had been running a while. No problems starting up or anything.

You should get a code thrown up though.

Also should point out that it only cut out while it was in motion and not at idle

scjeep4.7HO 03-29-2010 06:13 AM

CPS doesn't always throw a code. PCM usually has to see a few occurences then throws a code. If it fails real fast then it may not be able o throw a code. It's right above the starter of the passenger side. Usually easiest to take starter loose so you can push it out of the way then only one bolts holds i in place. Can be hard to pull out.

FlyinRyan 03-29-2010 04:50 PM

Could be either Cam or Crank sensor

bom25s 03-30-2010 05:49 PM

ok I replaced the crank sensor (was not it ) so I pulled out the cam sensor and cleane. the end off. it seems to have worked do you guys think I should replace it or do you think there is life left in it?

THANKS TO ALL FOR THE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it sure made it easier than chasing my tail like I was

StoneCold 04-03-2010 08:11 AM

Depends. It could have been dirt that was contaminating it, in which case it'll be fine now. If you're not getting any problems or codes, you safe to assume it's ok, but it may fail again, in which case I'd replace it