Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Performance Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/)
-   -   SC Tuner and Emissions (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/sc-tuner-and-emissions-7863.html)

Relwarc 03-25-2010 09:35 AM

SC Tuner and Emissions

Well the Jeep is up for Emissions here in MD.

Do i need to return it to stock from my SC tuner to get it done? or can i leave it?

If i return it to stock, i'll have to stop running 93 octane right?

Chaoul1 03-25-2010 09:37 AM

Re: SC Tuner and Emissions

IMO I would turn it back to stock just incase. I know I would since I live in VA.

John_R 03-26-2010 11:05 AM

They say to run 87 octane for a smog test and be sure to drive it around before hand, to get it nice and warmed up (namely the cat(s)).

Provided you don't have an aftermarket cam or something that 'needs' the tune, I would return it to stock settings, as well, just to be on the safe side (w/o knowing the details of what, where and how it changes the parameters). The tune may help in some areas (i.e. NOx), but hurt in others (i.e. HC, CO) <---those are just examples; it's been so long since I got a smog test, I forgot the details :)

Rich 03-26-2010 04:05 PM

I would go back to stock first. If emissions in your state still does the exhast reading coming out of the tailpipe, I would think the higher octane the better. 93 burns cleaner than 87. Back in the day i would just add two bottles of dry gas to half a tank of gas to help pass.
In CT at least, they now just hook up to ODB2 and pull a report, I doubt gas selection would matter.

mzh29 03-27-2010 03:39 PM

Go back to stock, and wait a minimum of one week before you get tested!!! I returned it back to stock and went to get it tested the next day. It did not pass, they asked me if I've had the computer flashed or in for service recently at the dealership. It can take 2-3 days for all the monitors and junk to go back to normal and their computers pick up on it.

Relwarc 03-27-2010 03:40 PM

got it. Thanks for the input!

FlyinRyan 03-28-2010 11:48 AM

No need to return it to stock, it's not like the SC turns off critical systems within the PCM.

Joe in PA 03-28-2010 03:58 PM

Can't speak specifically to the WK and SCT tune but my 09' Mustang failed emissions here in PA a week ago due to a Predator tune. Seems that in order to squeeze out the last bit of power, the tune turned off a few of the O2 sensors and the emissions tester showed that the system was not ready to be tested. Returning it to the OEM tune and running it 50 miles was enough to pass the next day.

Scottina06 03-28-2010 05:57 PM

from what i know...all tuners and tunes are legal "offroad" only and not CARB tested or otherwise. Remove the tunes before doing any state/federally required testing

Scottina06 03-28-2010 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mzh29 (Post 177518)
Go back to stock, and wait a minimum of one week before you get tested!!! I returned it back to stock and went to get it tested the next day. It did not pass, they asked me if I've had the computer flashed or in for service recently at the dealership. It can take 2-3 days for all the monitors and junk to go back to normal and their computers pick up on it.

you just need to completely reset the PCM by removing all electrical stored energy. You can do that by stepping on the brake pedal etc. while the negative cable is removed

FlyinRyan 03-28-2010 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe in PA (Post 177914)
Can't speak specifically to the WK and SCT tune but my 09' Mustang failed emissions here in PA a week ago due to a Predator tune. Seems that in order to squeeze out the last bit of power, the tune turned off a few of the O2 sensors and the emissions tester showed that the system was not ready to be tested. Returning it to the OEM tune and running it 50 miles was enough to pass the next day.

Yeah, with mustangs it's considered the norm to remove a few of the cats (if not all of them) so alot of tuners turn the O2s off to prevent codes, but in the case of SC they are left on.

maxst2 03-30-2010 12:10 AM

pulled off superchips:
Superchips is at the forefront in bringing you up-to-date, street legal parts that comply with federal and
state emissions regulations. Superchips is working vigorously to be street legal in all 50 states per established
CARB (California Air Resources Board) and EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) regulations.
Superchips applies for and obtains CARB executive orders (E.O.’s) for emissions-related products and
expects to be fully certified in 2010. CARB requires specialty-parts manufacturers who sell emissionsrelated
products in California to obtain certification for such parts. Failure to do so can result in fines and
an inability to pass routine Inspection and Maintenance (IM) tests conducted by the state. We hate when
that happens, so we’re on it.
Nationally, the EPA has similar guidelines, thus resulting in the installation of an emission related part
not supported by a CARB E.O., to be considered a violation of the tampering provisions in both the
California Vehicle Code and Federal Clean Air Act.