Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Dealer says no one wants off road package (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/dealer-says-no-one-wants-off-road-package-78845.html)

jpcortese 08-30-2014 07:35 AM

Dealer says no one wants off road package

Interesting. Went to 2 local dealerships yesterday and they had a few 15's with more in transit. When I told them that I am interested in a 15 Overland with the off road adventure II package they both said that they don't order them that way so I will have to special order. They both said that no one wants that option and one sales guy said he has never sold one with that option. How can that be true? It's a Jeep for crying out loud.

GCLimited 08-30-2014 07:40 AM

Re: Dealer says no one wants off road package

It's because most people (including myself) are not going to take their $45,000+ Overland off road.

I've yet to see a 2014 Overland without the 20" wheels.

MDBones 08-30-2014 07:44 AM

It's not so much that "no one wants ORAII" as it is that the majority of dealer ordered GC's are with the 3.6L V6.

bill_de 08-30-2014 07:46 AM

My Overland will be back on the beach Thursday. It was ordered before they hit the lots, so I never looked to see if they stocked any.

GCLimited 08-30-2014 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDBones (Post 1077498)

It's not so much that "no one wants ORAII" as it is that the majority of dealer ordered GC's are with the 3.6L V6.

You can get an "Off-Road Adventure II" package with the 3.6L V6 (there are two versions, with or without Quadra-Drive II). The package for the 3.6L V6 includes:

18" x 8.0" polished aluminum wheels; Front suspension, fuel tank, transfer case and under body skid plate shields; P265/60R18 black sidewall all-season tires; Trail rated badge

MDBones 08-30-2014 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCLimited (Post 1077502)
You can get an "Off-Road Adventure II" package with the 3.6L V6 (there are two versions, with or without Quadra-Drive II). The package for the 3.6L V6 includes:

18" x 8.0" polished aluminum wheels; Front suspension, fuel tank, transfer case and under body skid plate shields; P265/60R18 black sidewall all-season tires; Trail rated badge

Yes, I'm well aware of that. From the dealer's perspective it's not a high volume option to be adding to their stock inventory.

I never understood why they don't offer QDII with the V6. Or for that matter why skid plates or an ELSD are not standalone options. After all, it is a Jeep.

Zhe Wiz 08-30-2014 08:15 AM

I suspect most people look at the 20" rims, then look at the 18" rims and decide bigger is better. What kind of "upgrade" downgrades your wheels dude! Joking, of course, but I'm guessing that's the mindset of many car lot shoppers.

I have an Overland with ORA II as well.

AquaForester 08-30-2014 08:17 AM

I found the same thing in New York. BTW if you think that's bad, go to the south its sometimes hard to find 4WD GCs.

MDBones 08-30-2014 08:18 AM

You could very well be right on that, Wiz.

jpcortese 08-30-2014 08:55 AM

To each his own I guess but it seems to me that if you don't tow or go off road, even mild off-roading, you would be better off with a minivan. I hunt a lot in the fall months and travel down farm fields and logging roads which are often muddy and uneven. For my purposes the reason to own a jeep is to have a 4X4 with skid plates and tow hooks.

AquaForester 08-30-2014 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpcortese (Post 1077520)
To each his own I guess but it seems to me that if you don't tow or go off road, even mild off-roading, you would be better off with a minivan. I hunt a lot in the fall months and travel down farm fields and logging roads which are often muddy and uneven. For my purposes the reason to own a jeep is to have a 4X4 with skid plates and tow hooks.

If you get the tow package then you also get the "full-size" spare which of course also gives you a tow point in the rear. So all you need to add is the skid plates.

jpcortese 08-30-2014 10:20 AM

You are absolutely right. I have a D ring hitch that I've used a few times in my 08 Overland and it has come in quite handy, especially when the front tow hooks are not accessible. Everyone with a trailer hitch should have a D ring even if you have front tow hooks..