Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Cherokee-KL (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f216/)
-   -   spotted Cherokee diesel (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f216/spotted-cherokee-diesel-78977.html)

owsleyh 09-02-2014 04:29 PM

spotted Cherokee diesel

1 Attachment(s)
Heard the diesel rumble. Sounded pretty good.

Red PeeKay 09-02-2014 04:42 PM

Re: spotted Cherokee diesel

Have been given the petrol version as a loan car by the dealer whilst my GC is having a reversing camera fitted, and I must say on first impressions, I am somewhat underwhelmed.

The auto feels a tad sloppy although the car does seem to go alright and the finish (interior) is not in the same league as the GC. Don't think I would consider this as a "smaller" alternative to the GC, would probably run with the forester.

Of course this is a moot point, as I ain't giving my GC up anytime soon! :thumbsup:

owsleyh 09-02-2014 06:30 PM

I agree the gc is not even comparable to a Cherokee. I am curious what type of mileage a diesel cherokee will get.

Red PeeKay 09-02-2014 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by owsleyh (Post 1079697)
I agree the gc is not even comparable to a Cherokee. I am curious what type of mileage a diesel cherokee will get.

Would hope it's better than the petrol version! I'm getting better mileage in my diesel 2+ tonne GC than the smaller but lighter Cherokee. I was expecting better.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

SJandL 09-03-2014 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red PeeKay (Post 1079702)
Would hope it's better than the petrol version! I'm getting better mileage in my diesel 2+ tonne GC than the smaller but lighter Cherokee. I was expecting better.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

What variant did they give you as a loaner PeeJay? I suspect the 'Sport' which is the entry level vehicle.

The published economy for the CRD by the way is 5.8/100.

ETA: The Limited KL optioned up, which is what we have ordered, has everything that our MY14 Grand (Overland) has plus more. Yes, it's smaller and we do not expect the same 'road-manners' as the big brother has but I think it more than has it over the Forester. (Yes, we did look at the Subaru but came away very underwhelmed).

Red PeeKay 09-03-2014 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJandL (Post 1079969)
What variant did they give you as a loaner PeeJay? I suspect the 'Sport' which is the entry level vehicle.

The published economy for the CRD by the way is 5.8/100.

ETA: The Limited KL optioned up, which is what we have ordered, has everything that our MY14 Grand (Overland) has plus more. Yes, it's smaller and we do not expect the same 'road-manners' as the big brother has but I think it more than has it over the Forester. (Yes, we did look at the Subaru but came away very underwhelmed).

Yep, it was the "Sport" SJandL. However given I have bought the "entry" level GC, I was expecting a bit more from the Cherokee. Not that it bothers me as it wasn't a car I was considering, and after having only had the GC for 3 weeks, I am more than happy with my choice (with a few niggles however).

Tibault 09-03-2014 11:02 AM

Really wish the Diesel was available in the States for a Cherokee. I would love to get my hands on that.

macfan 09-03-2014 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tibault (Post 1080158)
Really wish the Diesel was available in the States for a Cherokee. I would love to get my hands on that.

There are two problems with the diesel in the US. First the low demand, even the diesel allocation to the Grand Cherokee has been cut back and given to the Ram. Second, is meeting the EPA standards. Having said that I know Chrysler is working on a diesel Cherokee for the US because living not too far from Chrysler's headquarters in Auburn Hills I have seen the diesel mules on the road here. First time I saw one was last summer in my local Walmart parking lot before the official Cherokee release. Second time was between last Thanksgiving and Christmas when I ran into a Roushe Racing Engineering (Yes, of NASCAR fame, Chrysler hires them to do consulting work.) crew at a local restaurant who were testing 3 different Cherokees mules one of them being a diesel. A favorite Chrysler on road test track is Auburn Hills I 75 to Fenton US 23 and back again or even further north if more miles are needed.

Tibault 09-03-2014 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macfan (Post 1080167)
There are two problems with the diesel in the US. First the low demand, even the diesel allocation to the Grand Cherokee has been cut back and given to the Ram. Second, is meeting the EPA standards. Having said that I know Chrysler is working on a diesel Cherokee for the US because living not too far from Chrysler's headquarters in Auburn Hills I have seen the diesel mules on the road here. First time I saw one was last summer in my local Walmart parking lot before the official Cherokee release. Second time was between last Thanksgiving and Christmas when I ran into a Roushe Racing Engineering (Yes, of NASCAR fame, Chrysler hires them to do consulting work.) crew at a local restaurant who were testing 3 different Cherokees mules one of them being a diesel. A favorite Chrysler on road test track is Auburn Hills I 75 to Fenton US 23 and back again or even further north if more miles are needed.

My Fiance has a 2010 Jetta TDI and it's one of the nicest cars I've driven despite the turbo lag that it suffers. Can't complain about the MPG on that one bit. Considering I live in Chicago proper it's hard to find the time/location to do much off roading so a diesel appeals to me. However, if it is anemic as the current I-4 in the KL then I might not go that route.

owsleyh 09-03-2014 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tibault (Post 1080158)

The diesel jeep Cherokee I spotted was in michigan, and appeared to be set up for the US market. I wouldn't be surprised to see an announcement soon.

Marlon_JB2 09-03-2014 06:52 PM

That's an export all day, dude. I hate to say it, but...

1. Amber rear turn signals.
2. Rear Fog Lamps (not just reflectors)
3. Lack of an EcoDiesel badge, which is what it would be badged as if it was for the NAFTA region. That one just says Diesel.

Plus, somebody would have said something by now... Milous, Chrysler themselves, etc...

Paul Julian 09-04-2014 06:58 PM

Interesting that Grand Cherokee people who drive a Cherokee poo poo it - but I'm looking at things from a different view, as we are trading up from a small 4 cylinder Holden (Chevrolet) up to the V6 Limited with all options bar sunroof, and looking forward to having something that's not anaemic at traffic lights, and has luxury.

The Grand, while a nice looking car, is just too big and too expensive for our needs.