Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Hemi ignition change in 2006? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/hemi-ignition-change-in-2006-a-7910.html)

John_R 03-26-2010 04:49 PM

Hemi ignition change in 2006?

I hate the way this ignition is set up on my 2005 hemi, with all the spark plug wires going back and forth, and wish they could've used an individual coil on each plug.

Anyhow, I thought I read somewhere that the ignition (coils) had changed in 2006 and it sounded like it used a 'regular' wire(s) to cross over the manifold to the other side...But then I wondering, does that mean each coil has two plug boots? I have a feeling I misread it...

So, question is did the ignition change, is it better in that sense, and imagine it would be an easy swap?

Chaoul1 03-26-2010 04:51 PM

Re: Hemi ignition change in 2006?

Each cylinder has 2 Spark Plugs so yes 2 plug boots. In total it takes 16 Spark Plugs :D!

Scottina06 03-26-2010 05:06 PM

look for posts by Hemi-jon he did the conversion you are talking about. It eliminates the wires going over the intake plenum

John_R 03-26-2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaoul1 (Post 177199)
Each cylinder has 2 Spark Plugs so yes 2 plug boots. In total it takes 16 Spark Plugs :D!

Yeah, I'm glad we just stick with regular plugs...Imagine the cost of those hyped 'V' ones they used to promote? Be like $100 for plugs!!

I do like how smooth this engine idles and don't mind all the plugs, but hate those wires (long distance and crossing is bad, mmmkay :D )

I'll do a search on Hemi-jon...thanks! I like this board :)

jeepgcoman 03-26-2010 07:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Someone makes a changeover kit, or at least used to. I think it ran about $300 or so. http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=47370
I looked into it for my 05 Hemi Magnum a few years back and decided it wasn't worth it. I first made my own shorties to see how/if they worked and ultimately ended up putting the Taylor Shorty wires. They've been on there for about 4 years now without problem. Some used to say you lost a little power with this setup, but you couldn't prove it by me. My ET's at the races never changed when using this setup.
http://www.taylorcableproducts.com/
See pix below. They work great and it eliminates the "rats nest" going over the top of the engine. To do a complete changeover you'll need new valve covers (2), new coils (8), and new plugs (8). Then you'll have to rewire or splice the new plugs in. Don't remember which is which, but one has a 3 pin plug and the other has a two pin plug. Only two wires are used and the pins are reversed between the 05 to the 06.

Scottina06 03-26-2010 07:49 PM

I pmed hemi-jon I looked and couldnt find it. im sure he'll post it when he logs on

John_R 03-26-2010 11:15 PM

I pm'd him as well, and appreciate the follow-up.

I like that setup; thanks for the info. I still need to familiar myself with the way it operates and would like to shorten those things or whatnot. I'm glad to hear there are options and will have to decide which route to go. My concern at the moment is that the wires have been on there for 50k under that thing (it's neat and all, but had to take it off and was surprised at how much it weighed) and may not be a bad idea to start thinking about something. Plus, it'll clean it up that much more.

Jeep is good and bad about all these possibilities. Love it, but the fundage tree and wife aren't quite as agreeable, lol.

hemi.jon 03-27-2010 02:14 AM

responded to pms...i did the taylor shorties not the full conversion. and like mentioned above i had no power loss issues with the taylor setup, its been great in my jeep for about a year now.

saleen032 03-27-2010 06:17 AM

I did the same thing with the taylor shorties, and again never noticed any difference in power at all...

robpp 03-27-2010 10:30 AM

OP, you might also want to check with Escape. he posted a bit ago about going backwards on his set up and wanting all the coil wires.

point is he may have all the oem stuff from the late setup ?????

John_R 03-27-2010 02:09 PM

Will do, thanks.

As I mentioned (asked) in my PM to jon, I guess I don't understand how it works, if the oem goes to an opposite plug (cylinder), how are you able to run to the one next to it then? Sounds like it works, but just curious about that.

jeepgcoman 03-27-2010 04:07 PM

I'll look into it a little more, but as I recall, when the coil is firing for the cylinder that it is sitting on it is also firing the one on the opposite side that is on the exhaust stroke. I could be wrong on this though. I think it is suppose to completely burn any unburned fuel in that cylinder. In any case, they (DCX) apparently decided that whatever it was suppose to do it was not worth the effort to keep this system and went to the 2006> system. All you're doing with the shorties is firing both plugs for the cylinder the coil is sitting on at the same time instead of just one. As those who have this system have said, it doesn't seem to make any difference. By the way, as I recall the wire set cost around $60.