Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/)
-   -   Torn surround on a JL 10W6v2. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/torn-surround-on-a-jl-10w6v2-7933.html)

TimmyB 03-27-2010 03:07 PM

Torn surround on a JL 10W6v2.

My bass has been sounding bad lately so I just took the grill off and realized the foam surround is torn around half of the sub. Anyone ever repair a foam surround, or know where I can send it to get repaired? I only spent $114 for the sub brand new on ebay, so i dont want to spend over that sending it out to JL which charges alot to fix it. I have also been looking at the Dayton HO 10" on Partsexpress.com, anyone have these and like them?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...Page=2#reviews

Matt 03-28-2010 01:15 PM

Re: Torn surround on a JL 10W6v2.

Responded to your PM.

Chris 03-28-2010 04:43 PM

Timmy, get an SSA DCON or ICON 12'' ... they hit HARD!

TimmyB 03-28-2010 05:27 PM

^^^ I just quickly googled that SSA DCON, appears decent but I dont like the 300rms on it. I just shredded my 10W6v2 on a 500/1 amp with the gain turned ALL the way down. I can just imagine what I would do to this sub.

TimmyB 03-28-2010 05:29 PM

I was also thinking about getting two 10" "flat" type subs and mounting one on each side in the cargo area in fiberglass enclosures, made by me.

Matt 03-28-2010 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyB (Post 177956)
^^^ I just quickly googled that SSA DCON, appears decent but I dont like the 300rms on it. I just shredded my 10W6v2 on a 500/1 amp with the gain turned ALL the way down. I can just imagine what I would do to this sub.

Power handling is usually one of the last specs I look at. It doesn't dictate how loud, or how low a woofer will play.

To be honest, most people are victims of the marketing schemes these manufacturers play. They make everyone firmly aware of their drivers power handling... they rarely note the specs that actually matter, t/s parameters, which actually tell you (on paper) how a sub woofer will perform.

Comparing the JL W6.v2 10" and the SSA DCON 10"...

The DCON will require HALF the power as the W6.v2 to get an equal decibel level. So, it would take 500 watts on the W6.v2 to equal the output of the DCON with only 250 watts. It's all about interpreting the t/s parameters.

The uneducated go straight to the rated power handling and decide if the woofer is suitable... silly, just silly.

The marketing teams at these manufactures are winning.

Chris 03-28-2010 10:54 PM

I should just quote myself, but I meant it when I said the SSA hit HARD :) Im VERY VERY impressed, and so glad I took Matt's advice and got that instead of a JL lol

jeepster23 03-29-2010 08:14 AM

wait aminute Matt, I really respect you as audiophile and your knowledge of audio systems in general is second to none but are you really trying to tell me that an ssa D con is on the same level as a JL W6?

TimmyB 03-29-2010 03:04 PM

No, I wasnt implying anything like that Matt. I was simply saying I obviously have no clue what the hell im doing when it comes to systems, since I already blew a 6.5 mid AND a tweeter on my XR's and had to buy another set to replace them, now I ruined my 10W6v2. I really thought I set everything correct, using a volt meter on the ouput with the head unit set at 3/4 volume using a test tone CD. If I ruined the JL with the gain on the 500/1 set all the way down, im sure I would find a way to ruin a 300watt rated sub. Thats what I meant. I would feel better getting a higher rated sub and underpowering it per say, with my limited knowledge. This sytem is costing me alot on F-ups and ruined speakers so far.

"The uneducated go straight to the rated power handling and decide if the woofer is suitable... silly, just silly."

Yes, I am very uneducated but really trying to research and learn. Since I have a 500/1 I was trying to match it with a similar rated sub. Thats why I was eyeing the Dayton HO.

TimmyB 03-29-2010 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepster23 (Post 178193)
wait aminute Matt, I really respect you as audiophile and your knowledge of audio systems in general is second to none but are you really trying to tell me that an ssa D con is on the same level as a JL W6?

Again, I have very limited knowlege of speakers and have no clue what half the numbers mean reading the specs, but that DCON and even that Dayton appear to be very good subs. But im basing that on looks, the surrounds look big and magnets look big, the Xmax on them look to be up their. Other than that, I have no idea what Vas means, Qes, its all spanish to me and I dont read spanish.

Matt 03-29-2010 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 178144)
I should just quote myself, but I meant it when I said the SSA hit HARD :) Im VERY VERY impressed, and so glad I took Matt's advice and got that instead of a JL lol

:thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepster23 (Post 178193)

No. I never said that. I simply made a comparison between each woofers efficiency.

Could it be though? Maybe. I haven't auditioned both woofers, so I can't tell you from my own experience.

Here's a thorough, objective review of teh SSA DCON;

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...12-review.html

To be honest, most people focus way to much time and money on a sub woofer. If covers next to nothing on the frequency spectrum. Most woofers, in the correct enclosure, will satisfy most people. I still find it funny that people think a badge or sticker on a piece of equipment helps it sound better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyB (Post 178465)
No, I wasnt implying anything like that Matt. I was simply saying I obviously have no clue what the hell im doing when it comes to systems, since I already blew a 6.5 mid AND a tweeter on my XR's and had to buy another set to replace them, now I ruined my 10W6v2. I really thought I set everything correct, using a volt meter on the ouput with the head unit set at 3/4 volume using a test tone CD.

I'm guessing clipping is what's causing your problems. Remember, what ever volume level you set your gains, you can never turn it up past there. Also, if you used a quality CD or source music to set your gains, other, lower quality music can have different affects. Also, any settings you play with on your head unit (bass, treble, etc, etc, etc) affect the signal.

Quote:

If I ruined the JL with the gain on the 500/1 set all the way down, im sure I would find a way to ruin a 300watt rated sub. Thats what I meant. I would feel better getting a higher rated sub and underpowering it per say, with my limited knowledge. This sytem is costing me alot on F-ups and ruined speakers so far.

I could put your 500 watt amp on a single tweeter and power it safely. I could also put that same 500 watt amp on a 3,000 watt sub woofer and blow it.

Try not to get caught up in power rating numbers. Do a little research, find a sub woofer you think will fit your listening characteristics, and mate it with your amp. 500 watts is plenty of juice to satisfy what I believe you're looking for.

Quote:

"The uneducated go straight to the rated power handling and decide if the woofer is suitable... silly, just silly."

Yes, I am very uneducated but really trying to research and learn. Since I have a 500/1 I was trying to match it with a similar rated sub. Thats why I was eyeing the Dayton HO.

That wasn't directed at you, just a general statement.

The Dayton HO is a very popular sub, definitely worth giving a try.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyB (Post 178470)
Again, I have very limited knowlege of speakers and have no clue what half the numbers mean reading the specs, but that DCON and even that Dayton appear to be very good subs. But im basing that on looks, the surrounds look big and magnets look big, the Xmax on them look to be up their. Other than that, I have no idea what Vas means, Qes, its all spanish to me and I dont read spanish.

You should learn Spanish.

Big surround and big magnets don't tell you a whole lot about a speaker.

Cone material and specs, definitely do.

Do some more learning; DIYMA has a wealth of information waiting to be explored.

TimmyB 11-22-2012 02:19 AM

Old post, but did I mention I used Gorilla Glue along the torn area and it has been holding and playing perfectly ever since. Dam thats some strong glue.