Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Changing 1999 G/C rear end

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Frango100 
#1 ·
I ,am going to swap out rear ends in my1999 G/C .I removed the one that was in it but had a hard time removing, there is a V shaped support bracket that bolts on top of the differential housing that attaches to the body when I had everything unbolted and started letting the jack down to lower the rear end the bracket kept binding as I was trying to remove it finally after prying loose the rear end came out. My question is when Installing the new one will it be easier to unbolt the bracket, jack the rear end into place , than bolt it to the differential housing ? Also will it be easier to install the coil springs after bolting the rear end into place by using a spring compressor or install them into place as I 'am installing the rear end. Any helpful hints will be gratefully appreciated .

Thanks,Skip

#2 ·
The rear upper A-arm is a nice thing to remove. Will you re-use the same A-arm? If so, then check the front bushings for cracks and also the rear central ball joint for play. I think easiest is to install the ball joint on the rear diff housing first and then under the jeep install the A-arm to the ball joint. The 4 bolts which holds the ball joint plate to the diff housing are a real pain in the *** to do under the jeep.
Regarding the springs, i do not see a reason to use spring compressors. Just raise the rear axle and align the springs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.