Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Performance Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/)
-   -   Sea-Foaming an Engine? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/sea-foaming-an-engine-7991.html)

TimmyB 03-29-2010 04:00 PM

Sea-Foaming an Engine?
 
I figured I would post this here, feel free to move it to product reviews but my question is does it work on making the engine perform better. I just read someone mentioned this in the "spring cleaning" thread in here. This has not been the first time I read online about using Sea Foam. I read use one bottle in 3rds, 1/3rd in the fuel itself, 1/3rd in a vacuum line, and the other 1/3rd I forget where. From what it seems everyone agrees on is it does contaminate the oil so do an oil change after using the Sea Foam. I am unsure which vacuum line to use, anyone have a picture so im positive im using the correct one? And is it even worth doing, or will an STP complete fuel system cleaner do the same thing which I hear is a good product with good results.

I was under the impression that filling up with a good name brand gas will keep the engine clean with the added detergents, like Shell has cool little pictures at the pump of cleaning bubbles getting all the carbon build up out if you use their gas. The only time I ever used a gas additive was in my previous 94 GC with a 5.2 motor that had over 200k miles on it, which after putting it in the tank it made the motor def run smoother for about a week then it idled rough again so I would use another bottle, I believe it was the Techron stuff in a blue bottle.

06RC22 03-29-2010 04:05 PM

Re: Sea-Foaming an Engine?
 
from what I know, BG 44k is one of the best fuel additives you can get. I use it after every oil change but i also get it for free from my dads shop. I notice a difference after running it through.

http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html

Hemi WK 03-29-2010 04:07 PM

Re: Sea-Foaming an Engine?
 
My opinion is that with the quality of the additives in gas today and regular oil changes this shouldn't be needed. It may help in a high mileage vehicle that was neglected but for a fairly new vehicle that has lower miles and had been maintained it shouldn't be needed. I use sea-foam along with some other products in all my 2-stroke engines but as far as my jeep and other cars - I just change the oil and use decent gas.

TimmyB 03-29-2010 04:12 PM

Re: Sea-Foaming an Engine?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 06RC22 (Post 178539)
from what I know, BG 44k is one of the best fuel additives you can get. I use it after every oil change but i also get it for free from my dads shop. I notice a difference after running it through.

http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html


Can you send me a few bottles and the apparatus thing so I can test it out? i'll pay for the shipping. Hmm,

06RC22 03-29-2010 04:13 PM

Re: Sea-Foaming an Engine?
 
haha wish i could!

TimmyB 03-29-2010 04:15 PM

Re: Sea-Foaming an Engine?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemi WK (Post 178541)
My opinion is that with the quality of the additives in gas today and regular oil changes this shouldn't be needed. It may help in a high mileage vehicle that was neglected but for a fairly new vehicle that has lower miles and had been maintained it shouldn't be needed. I use sea-foam along with some other products in all my 2-stroke engines but as far as my jeep and other cars - I just change the oil and use decent gas.


The only reason im thinking of trying to clean everything in there is how sprak plugs look when removing and replacing them, there is def some type of build up on them. If there is a miracle product that actually does clean everything it wouldnt hurt trying it.

FlyinRyan 03-29-2010 04:33 PM

Re: Sea-Foaming an Engine?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyB (Post 178549)
The only reason im thinking of trying to clean everything in there is how sprak plugs look when removing and replacing them, there is def some type of build up on them. If there is a miracle product that actually does clean everything it wouldnt hurt trying it.

You have to consider that with a stock PCM calibration, there will always be excess fuel under heavy loads (i.e. WOT)...which will cause a rich condition that blackens the plugs.

Internal combustion by nature is a dirty process, and even with the best tuning around, there will always be contaminants . oil, impurities in the gas, etc etc. It's a controlled fire, there is always something left behind.

Most fuel additives really are not necessary, it doesn't hurt to do a good Seafoaming/Combustion Chamber cleaning every once in a while.

hemi.jon 03-29-2010 07:42 PM

Re: Sea-Foaming an Engine?
 
yeah sea foam is a great product, but like mentioned above your motors internals will never be "clean" its a dirty system, and they keep making money using a false promise. but sea foam and BG are great products to keep some of the crud from building up to much.

Scottina06 03-29-2010 07:57 PM

Re: Sea-Foaming an Engine?
 
I use a seafoam in my shower....oh Im sorry....thats a sea sponge----

Chaoul1 03-29-2010 08:04 PM

Re: Sea-Foaming an Engine?
 
I also heard that before you do an Oil Change you drive pour it in for 20 miles and that would clean the inside of the Engine. And then you Change your Oil. I did it through the PCV Hose and the Fuel System on my WJ. It made it Idle Smoother and felt a bit better. Not a whole lot though.

Denny boy 03-29-2010 09:11 PM

Re: Sea-Foaming an Engine?
 
i pour half in the tank and half down the intake when it is running. i also use engine restore after every oil change. mostly peace of mind.

TimmyB 03-29-2010 10:04 PM

Re: Sea-Foaming an Engine?
 
So basically there is no solid info or data that a fuel additive cleans the engine to "new" like the manufacturers claim? And it is better to save the money and use it at a gas station pump that sells top line fuel w/detergents?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community