Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Certified used Jeeps, is it worth it

Tags
jeep
6K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  rubberjeep 
#1 ·
Looking at getting my first Jeep GC. I found a 2014 summit with 19k, its certifed. Question is the certification worth it?

#2 ·
Well, they're supposed to be going off a checklist in order to certify a used vehicle. But the dealer can basically check everything off that doesn't have an obviously glaring problem but who are you (as the buyer) to say differently?

To me it's just another marketing ploy to charge more for the vehicle. If being certified gains you anything warranty wise then that helps.

#3 ·
I would feel much better about purchasing a CPO Jeep compared to non CPO. At least you receive some of the benefits of the existing warranty as described below:

Chrysler Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle Program

Chrysler Certified Pre-Owned vehicles must pass a history check and rigorous 125-point mechanical and appearance inspection and must be 5 model years old or newer and have less than 75,000 miles. Certified Chrysler vehicles include:

Rigorous 125-point mechanical and appearance inspection.
CARFAX® Vehicle History Report™
Factory-backed 7-Year/100,000-Mile Powertrain Limited Warranty runs from date vehicle was sold new.
3-Month/3,000-Mile Maximum Care Limited Warranty with $100 deductible runs from date of sale of the vehicle, or at the expiration of the 3/36 Basic Warranty.
$100 deductible
24-Hour Towing and Roadside Assistance
Rental car coverage if repairs take vehicle out of service more than one day
Warranty is transferable.
Owner loyalty communications and service coupons
SIRIUS® Satellite Radio 3 trial months of service.
Browse Certified Pre-Owned Chrysler models

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage

#4 ·
I would feel much better about purchasing a CPO Jeep compared to non CPO. At least you receive some of the benefits of the existing warranty as described below:

Chrysler Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle Program

Chrysler Certified Pre-Owned vehicles must pass a history check and rigorous 125-point mechanical and appearance inspection and must be 5 model years old or newer and have less than 75,000 miles. Certified Chrysler vehicles include:

Rigorous 125-point mechanical and appearance inspection.
CARFAX® Vehicle History Report™
Factory-backed 7-Year/100,000-Mile Powertrain Limited Warranty runs from date vehicle was sold new.
3-Month/3,000-Mile Maximum Care Limited Warranty with $100 deductible runs from date of sale of the vehicle, or at the expiration of the 3/36 Basic Warranty.
$100 deductible
24-Hour Towing and Roadside Assistance
Rental car coverage if repairs take vehicle out of service more than one day
Warranty is transferable.
Owner loyalty communications and service coupons
SIRIUS® Satellite Radio 3 trial months of service.
Browse Certified Pre-Owned Chrysler models
Sounds like there's some benefit there. To be clear on some of this...

"Rigorous inspection" is open to interpretation. Some dealers will do due dillegence, some won't. There are enough incompetent dealer service department stories on this forum to write a book on. But I guess anything is better than nothing. At least it's documented one way or the other so you do have something to fall back on if there's a problem.

CARFAX doesn't necessarily give a complete vehicle history. That's subject to whether or not a state makes that information available to them. Not all do. Case in point... my 98 went back under my state's lemon law. It was termed a manufacturer's buyback. That branding never appeared in any CARFAX check I did on it after I turned it in. Neither did the problem that got it bought back in the first place.

The unused portions of the 3/36 basic and 7/100 powertrain warranties are transferable to another buyer... CPO or not.

:)

#5 · (Edited)
Ok thanks for the feedback. I've found two summits that I'm trying to decide on. The cpo one has a Srt front fascia, hood and rims . Dealer doesn't want to budge on 44k, 18500 miles.The other one that I like is a reg summit. Both are white, black interior with the 5.7, 42k. 19500 miles

Having a hard time choosing.

#6 ·
It's only worth it if there is a big break in cost vs new. If you're only saving a few thousand bucks I would buy new. Regardless of how much you would save buying slightly used you still have two years left on the original warranty. With so much money on the line I always buy the Max Care warranty. I just bought a 2014 CPO myself and a Chrysler Max Care service contract to go with it.
Now I can enjoy my Jeep,
no worries.

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage

#8 ·
my o8 was certainly worth it getting used in 2011. dealer did their technical inspection and I picked it up a week later. but I myself also did my own 127 point inspection too. not one issue found!

#9 ·
Thanks guys. I like the looks of the srt clone but at 3k more. I'm thinking I can switch the fascia and rims at a later date. I don't really like the big chrome trim on the stock summit. Yes its a lot of money on the line. Figuring the summit's msrp is in the 50's i believe I'm saving a good amount.

#10 ·
Depends on the engines. If its the V6 not sure i'd agree theres any advantage to buying used. If its got the hemi or the diesel then yes thats a good price. My EcoDiesel 2014 Summit was 53,683 and that was the 1% under invoice price with a few options. If that isn't a diesel or hemi I would go with new especially if a dealer can beat 1% below invoice in your area as you will get the 20,000 miles of less use so that much more under warranty. The greater resale from a year newer (2015) and also if you are financing a much better rate then if you buy new, which in itself can save the $1,000's you think you are saving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.