Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/)
-   -   speaker is cutting out (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/speaker-is-cutting-out-8171.html)

99limited 04-03-2010 01:14 PM

speaker is cutting out

i installed my 6.5s today that i got from matt. i had all of it ready to go so i turned up my volume and one of the speakers cuts out and sounds choppy before i turn the volume up half way. whats goin on here?

2000 Grand 04-03-2010 01:29 PM

Re: speaker is cutting out

Make sure all of your connections are secure and the speaker is in tight

99limited 04-03-2010 01:33 PM

yep all that is good man. confused..im just gonna move the sound away from that speaker

dpoteete 04-03-2010 01:50 PM

bad speaker

99limited 04-03-2010 02:46 PM

^^thats my thought too

jeepster23 04-03-2010 02:48 PM

The speaker sounds like it is 1] blown or 2] out of phase check to make sure it is in phase.

99limited 04-03-2010 02:59 PM

how do i check to see if it is in phase?

jeepster23 04-03-2010 03:08 PM

all phase means is that the negative is hooked up to the negative terminal and the positive lead is hoooked up to positive terminal.

99limited 04-03-2010 03:14 PM

oh ok man thanks

Chris 04-03-2010 06:16 PM

From what I read, phase shouldn't make a speaker cut out though..

dpoteete 04-03-2010 06:35 PM

If it's out of phase the speaker will move out when it's supposed to move in, and visa versa, since amplifier current is Alternating, the speaker will still work, just the air movement the speaker generates will be out of phase. (an out of phase condition at worse will cause a cancelation of bass frequencies), If an amp ever passes DC current it will fuse the voice coil together like a welder, and ruin the speaker. Today's amp circuitry is so sophisticated these days, there is little to no chance of DC being generated by any modern amplifier. all a speaker is is an AC electric motor. I would say a bad speaker, or a bad amp channel, try a different speaker on that same channel, and see what happens, if it plays OK, that rules out the amp, and it's most likely a bad speaker. If not you have a bad connection in the speaker wire or a bad amp.

99limited 04-03-2010 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpoteete (Post 181754)
If it's out of phase the speaker will move out when it's supposed to move in, and visa versa, since amplifier current is Alternating, the speaker will still work, just the air movement the speaker generates will be out of phase. (an out of phase condition at worse will cause a cancelation of bass frequencies), If an amp ever passes DC current it will fuse the voice coil together like a welder, and ruin the speaker. Today's amp circuitry is so sophisticated these days, there is little to no chance of DC being generated by any modern amplifier. all a speaker is is an AC electric motor. I would say a bad speaker, or a bad amp channel, try a different speaker on that same channel, and see what happens, if it plays OK, that rules out the amp, and it's most likely a bad speaker. If not you have a bad connection in the speaker wire or a bad amp.

yeah i had a speaker working in the same spot (left passenger door). so are we thinking phasing here?