Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   My Impressions of the WK Bilsteins (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/my-impressions-of-the-wk-bilsteins-82.html)

Scottina06 05-30-2009 11:45 PM

My Impressions of the WK Bilsteins

I have had the Bilsteins long enough now to drive the WK in different situations. I have done the sprited driving-curvy roads. Interstate,family time driving and everday driving-my impressions are as follows---

spirited driving-excellent combo-no body lean, very crisp handling, low noise, excellent rebound, low center of gravity-but really not much different than the Eibachs alone 9 out of 10

interstate-long drive-family time-less comfort than with the Eibachs alone-ride is stiffer-but no floating over bumps in highway or low spots in highway-but i didnt experience this with the Eibachs alone as well. 7 out of 10

everyday driving- I saw no difference on my commute or city driving-which is very short anyway-I did experience less bouncing going over speed bumps-9 out of 10

The only real problem I have with the Bilsteins is the loss of 1/2 of my Eibach drop...and oh yeah...the yellow color! LOL!

On the drop(unscientific and in my garage) is now about 1" in the front and 1 1/4" in the rear----so sad!

Post questions if you have any. I am not up on handling lingo.......so this is not scientific....I would love to see some skid pad numbers for a better comparison.

LTrainGC 05-30-2009 11:50 PM

Re: My Impressions of the WK Bilsteins

I LOVE my Bilstein's along with my SRT rear sway bar. She's a lot of fun to toss around the twisties up here in upstate SC!

Scottina06 05-31-2009 12:11 AM

I now have the SRT Bilsteins and they are evn better without the little lift you get with the WK Bilsteins. But the WK BIlsteins are night and day better than the WK stockers!

Megatron 06-01-2009 07:20 PM

Just wondering,

Hey Scott what would you recommend for a regular nyc driver like me? potholes and such along with constant stop and go traffic?

Thanks

Scottina06 06-01-2009 07:22 PM

what are your future plans? Lowering springs? What look are you going for?

Megatron 06-01-2009 07:43 PM

I doubt that I'll be actually buying any form of these in the near future since I am on a tight budget but.

Not much for the look but more comfort? I just curious to see what I would need to have a more comfy less bumpy ride.

Scottina06 06-01-2009 09:45 PM

the wk bilsteins from shox.com or shockwarehouse.com sounds like the right shocks/struts combo for you

blackpepper 06-02-2009 01:29 AM

Paul since the bilsteins are tighter than the stockers, you will feel the road more. If you want the ride to be as soft as possible, I would just keep the shocks stock.

Megatron 06-02-2009 09:26 AM

Thanks for your insightful answer guys

Scottina06 06-02-2009 10:12 AM

I found the wk bilsteins to ride more comfortable than the stockers. the stockers were all bouncy and floaty and that made me uncomfortable. the WK Bilsteins offered more ride control with not as much bouncyness. I went for the SRT Bilsteins to add the sport and more athletic ride and handling the wk bilsteins didnt offer for me. Plus the WK Bilsteins will raise your truck about 3/8" all around----

Splathers 06-03-2009 02:13 PM

Are the SRT shocks compatible with all WKs or do you need other parts to go along with them?

blackpepper 06-03-2009 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splathers (Post 4520)
Are the SRT shocks compatible with all WKs or do you need other parts to go along with them?

You would need lowering springs because the SRT shocks don't have as much travel as the non srt shocks.. making them dangerous. The original springs allow more travel than the shocks can provide so the shocks "top out" for lack of a better word... not safe.