Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Air intake cover (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/air-intake-cover-8211.html)

NHWK05 04-04-2010 10:05 AM

Air intake cover

I have a K&N stock panel filter and stock air box. I have removed the intake resonator and have the stock box connected to the TB via home made intake tubes (for now)

I was wondering if i removed the cover over the intake inlet behind the grille if that would help performance any?

Also wondering if it would hurt anything? I dont think it would as there is the drop in the stock intake for water to settle and it should not be any different then having a Bwoody intake with the filter down low or any other intake where the cone is not in a "box."

I would like to eventually buy some intake tubes from K&N to connect to the stock air box and add my FRP TB and it should flow pretty well.

This is just an idea i am toying with vs spending big money on a full intake.

jeepgcoman 04-04-2010 03:00 PM

Re: Air intake cover

4 Attachment(s)
The answers are, unnoticeable and no. I like to build my own CAI's. When I first got my WK GCO I removed the big, ugly silencer like you did and put my own setup between the throttle body and the airbox. I also removed the "cup" in the bottom of the airbox and hooked a 3 in. aluminum duct to it and ran it out by the grill. This was all temporary until I had time to do one right. I just recently retrofitted an LX (Charger, Magnum, 300C) SRT airbox and air tube that I had laying around from when I built the CAI for my Hemi Magnum. The LX SRT airbox is on the other side (where the WK battery is located), so I had redo the mounts and cut and recontour the airbox bottom. I also drilled another 3 in. hole in the front of the box. My air intake into the box is now one opening about 7 X 7 in. and the 3 in. I am now delighted with this setup and it looks stock. Here are pictures of my Magnum, the first WK one and the final one.

When building one of these, IMO you want to have more than one air inlet, one being as high as possible (to keep from hydrolocking), and you want it to draw all ambient air, not under hood air. The tube should not be a heat conductor (metal) and should have the best heat insulating properties possible. The one on my Magnum is a double walled unit with an airspace in between the walls....inside tube is a fiber tube and outside is ventilated aluminum. The WK one is the stock SRT rubber tube that goes from 4 in. down to 3 in. at the throttle body. IAT's run at ambient on the highway with both setups.

NHWK05 04-04-2010 04:24 PM

Thanks for the info, i guess its a similar theory to how my arb snorkel worked on my old xj.

jeepgcoman 04-04-2010 07:53 PM

I think you're right. If the lower intake is under water it draws from the upper. If both are under water, you're doomed. My upper one is only about 4-6 in. higher than the lower one, but then again I don't usually get into deep water. On my LX the lower one is behind the lower grill and is only about 8 in. off the ground. The upper one is behind the upper grill, at least 12-16 in. higher. If you do a lot of off roading and get into high water, a special hi-mount snorkel may be a good idea.

ALombardi 04-04-2010 11:56 PM

I found the 57 series for the 3.7 on Ebay for 225 shipped. not bad at all. i have a K&N drop in, but I guess i might as well upgrade as necessary.

i think soon will be a Ryan's Ported Special :D