Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Door Hindge Question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/door-hindge-question-8238.html)

JTK1130 04-04-2010 08:54 PM

Door Hindge Question

Hey guys,

Has anyone had this same problem as me? My drivers side door seems to be out of allignment and i'm thinking its just from normal wear & tear on the door hindge's... Anyone ever come across this in their WK's?

I'm thinking of taking the front fendor off and having a friend tighten up the bolts while i hold the door up so it lines up well... I've also been reading online and people are saying to replace the door hinge pins.... any thoughts?

robpp 04-04-2010 09:05 PM

Re: Door Hindge Question

i read about it on some other forums. let me see i can find the fix.

robpp 04-04-2010 09:07 PM

here is what I saw:

I had an issue with two bent hinges on pass door. Took to body shop up in Brighton. They installed two new hinges, repainted where door hit the fender, aligned eveything. Works great. Mine is 2005, new hinge was redesigned with a heavy duty spring. Damage was due to wind blowing door open. Insurance covered it under comprehensive. Was like $1300 total.

I would recommend two new hinges.

JTK1130 04-04-2010 09:11 PM

Cool, thanks Rob. I'll check with justforjeeps see if they can give me a price for them.

JTK1130 04-05-2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 182430)
here is what I saw:

I had an issue with two bent hinges on pass door. Took to body shop up in Brighton. They installed two new hinges, repainted where door hit the fender, aligned eveything. Works great. Mine is 2005, new hinge was redesigned with a heavy duty spring. Damage was due to wind blowing door open. Insurance covered it under comprehensive. Was like $1300 total.

I would recommend two new hinges.

Thanks again Rob, I just ordered both hinges for my drivers door from just for jeeps for just under 50 with shipping... Hopefully i'll be replacing them this weekend.

John_R 04-05-2010 05:38 PM

If it's a matter of it not lining up right when it's shut, you can adjust the striker bar (and possibly the mating latch assy on the door) to compensate for some sag/misalignment, etc...this is probably not an issue in this case, but a 'fwiw', for others. my rear door was driving me crazy with the extra gap sticking out and this helped a lot (plus on other cars I've had).

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-11-2010 12:53 PM

my 06 also has this problem, the paint wears off the door and fender because of it