Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f75/)
-   -   Best oil for Hemi? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f75/best-oil-for-hemi-8288.html)

THA06 04-06-2010 10:05 AM

Best oil for Hemi?

Hey, what is the best oil to use for the Hemi? This will be the first time I have had to change the oil and I'm not sure what is the best oil I should use for the best performance?

Matt 04-06-2010 10:09 AM

Re: Best oil for Hemi?

Have you searched here? This has been discussed quite a bit.

Use the right viscosity. Most here prefer synthetic. I prefer Mobil 1 Synthetic. Changed every 5,000 miles.

Be sure to buy an extra quart as a lot of HEMI's take a little over 7, sometimes 8.

THA06 04-06-2010 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 183297)
Have you searched here? This has been discussed quite a bit.

Use the right viscosity. Most here prefer synthetic. I prefer Mobil 1 Synthetic. Changed every 5,000 miles.

Be sure to buy an extra quart as a lot of HEMI's take a little over 7, sometimes 8.

Yea I did a search but I came up with so many different things so I decided to try this again. I did notice the mobile 1 but I also noticed people using the Purple stuff?
Thanks.

Escape 04-06-2010 11:21 AM

Amsoil 5-20

Motteler621 04-06-2010 11:23 AM

peanut oil is top notch.

Matt 04-06-2010 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THA06 (Post 183379)
Yea I did a search but I came up with so many different things so I decided to try this again. I did notice the mobile 1 but I also noticed people using the Purple stuff?
Thanks.

You're going to get the same responses.

Royal Purple - said to be good, expensive, supposedly burns a lot.

LTrainGC 04-06-2010 01:12 PM

I've used Mobile 1 in all my cars (except for my diesel Benz) for as long as I've been driving.

It's cheap and easily accessible (can buy a 5 qt jug at wal-mart for around $25).

If I wanted to spend more money, I'd go Amsoil or RP - but I don't see the benefit for my driving conditions.

Also be sure you use 5W-20 in the Hemi to ensure proper functionality of the MDS system.

hops23 04-06-2010 01:30 PM

0-40 for the 6.1 and 5-40 or 15-40 is acceptable also

HemiJeep4x4 04-06-2010 02:01 PM

Royal Purple you get 1 1/2 miles per. gallon better fuel mileage compaired to Mobil 1.I know because i tried both oils.

Matt 04-06-2010 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiJeep4x4 (Post 183486)
Royal Purple you get 1 1/2 miles per. gallon better fuel mileage compaired to Mobil 1.I know because i tried both oils.

Does that offset the extra cost? What about the comments I read that it burns quickly and needs to be changed more often?

LTrainGC 04-06-2010 02:37 PM

1.5 MPG? That is about a 10% bump in efficiency. Were your tests done in the same conditions? (Same road, same speeds, same air temps, same cargo load, same air pressure in the tires, same fuel, same engine loads)? Slight differences in any of the before mentioned could have quite an effect on MPG.

I've heard of people getting a 7-8% increase in MPG after switching to all RP fluids (oil, trans fluid, diff oil, etc)... 10% on just oil seems like a stretch, BUT, that is just my opinion and I have never used RP.

John_R 04-06-2010 03:18 PM

don't think you'd be getting much any mileage gains, unless your oil was so old, it became a hinderance in the rotating mass.

I haven't changed the oil yet in my WK, but as mentioned, if you have Hemi, then you need 5W-20 for proper functioning of MDS...I've used synthetics in my GTO and VR-4 (turbo) and tried most all of them. Mobil 1 is my top choice, but occasionally Castrol or Valvoline, etc. will be on sale, so I'll use that. As far as Royal Purple, I'm not sold on their products, as being any better than any other quality synthetic and certainly not worth paying more. I've used the differential fluid in a couple vehicles and will only buy it if it's cheaper (on sale).

With that said, you'll get a lot of opinions. Which one is best? Who knows, as so many claims are made with bias or "studies" that benefit a certian mfg., etc. Just check it on a regular basis and change as needed, and you'll be fine with whatever...I am not 100% sold we "need" synthetic (I had to run in GTO and turbo, as it came that way), but if you can afford the extra $, go for it.