Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   srt bilsteins (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/srt-bilsteins-8357.html)

ny450es 04-08-2010 06:43 AM

srt bilsteins

where is the cheapest place to buy the srt bilsteins? i can't seem to find them anywhere other than the dealer or j4j's. also, anyone know of a company that sells variable rate springs? i don't want to lower my 09 overland. thanks
-john

yousmellfunnytoo 04-08-2010 08:11 AM

Re: srt bilsteins

Quote:

Originally Posted by ny450es (Post 184905)
where is the cheapest place to buy the srt bilsteins? i can't seem to find them anywhere other than the dealer or j4j's. also, anyone know of a company that sells variable rate springs? i don't want to lower my 09 overland. thanks
-john

Junkyard my man ;) will be the cheapest place to pick these up.

If you dont want it lowered, why not get the WK bilsteins?

Startech 04-08-2010 08:21 AM

It is my understanding that there is no diff between srt and standard wk bilsteins, except for price.

Scottina06 04-08-2010 08:34 AM

oh yes there is.....Ive had both...for one....the wk bilsteins will lift you 3/8"

ny450es 04-08-2010 08:35 AM

i thought i remembered reading that the wk bilsteins increased ride height by a little and weren't as stiff/rebound rate as the srt bilsteins. and when i checked bilstein.com they do not list the srt's which leads me to believe their are diff part #'s. i could be way off. i would love to lower but my hobbies include lite offroading, jumping curbs(when needed), etc. i replaced the sway bars and now need to change out the shocks b4 i crash the truck.

ny450es 04-08-2010 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 184984)
oh yes there is.....Ive had both...for one....the wk bilsteins will lift you 3/8"

are the rebound rates different? do you know any company that sells stock height springs that are variable rate? any vendors here that sell the srt bilsteins?

Scottina06 04-08-2010 08:56 AM

you can only get SRt Bilsteins froma Jeep authorized parts dealer...like justforjeeps or moparpartsamerica for example

Scottina06 04-08-2010 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ny450es (Post 184993)
are the rebound rates different? do you know any company that sells stock height springs that are variable rate? any vendors here that sell the srt bilsteins?

yes.....and no

ny450es 04-08-2010 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 185024)
yes.....and no

if i put the srt bilsteins in...am i going to have to lower my jeep in order for them to fit? i would think the srt bilsteins aren't as long as the wk bilsteins?

Scottina06 04-08-2010 09:43 PM

they arent as long...the wk bilsteins actually raise the wk. Lowering is not required though

blackpepper 04-08-2010 09:52 PM

Scott.. sorry to cut you off but you will need to lower it if you install srt8 bilsteins. They don't have the travel that the regular shocks have, making them unsafe over big bumps, etc. I had the srt8 rear shocks on my WK @ stock ride height, went over a speed bump, and BAM! the shocks reached their travel limit. This also happened going over an undulation at highway speeds.

to have srt8 shocks and have a safe vehicle, you need to get shorter springs. it's just a fact.

ny450es 04-08-2010 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackpepper (Post 185571)
Scott.. sorry to cut you off but you will need to lower it if you install srt8 bilsteins. They don't have the travel that the regular shocks have, making them unsafe over big bumps, etc. I had the srt8 rear shocks on my WK @ stock ride height, went over a speed bump, and BAM! the shocks reached their travel limit. This also happened going over an undulation at highway speeds.

to have srt8 shocks and have a safe vehicle, you need to get shorter springs. it's just a fact.

thanks to all...you just saved me at least $300. i was worried the travel would be shorter.