Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Noob Question - Oil Change Message (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/noob-question-oil-change-message-8359.html)

HemiDawg 04-08-2010 07:38 AM

Noob Question - Oil Change Message
 
Took the GC on a trip this past weekend and noticed on the way home that we have a "Oil Change Required" message (or something like that) - Jeep only has 2600 miles on it.

Is this typical and if so, what is the frequency?? Also, does this mean that we just need an oil change or is it indicating it is low on oil??

Fireman310pt 04-08-2010 07:41 AM

Re: Noob Question - Oil Change Message
 
Mine came up at 2,499 miles. It's something to do with initail break in if I remember right. It's a recommended oil change.

jcostri09 04-08-2010 07:44 AM

Re: Noob Question - Oil Change Message
 
I know on mine you can set the service interval in the EVIC. Not sure if that was changed in the newer models.

Robert Palmer 04-08-2010 07:50 AM

Re: Noob Question - Oil Change Message
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiDawg (Post 184920)
Took the GC on a trip this past weekend and noticed on the way home that we have a "Oil Change Required" message (or something like that) - Jeep only has 2600 miles on it.

Is this typical and if so, what is the frequency?? Also, does this mean that we just need an oil change or is it indicating it is low on oil??

Its a system that the Jeep recommends when you should change the oil. Nothing to do with it being low. If this is the initial oil, I would change it. I changed my initial break in oil at like 1000 miles.

Check the oil and make sure it isnt low anyways. New engines consume quite of bit of oil during its break in process.

To reset it, turn the key to the on position and pump the gas pedal until the EVIC says Oil Change Indicator (or something to that effect) reset.

saleen032 04-08-2010 08:03 AM

Re: Noob Question - Oil Change Message
 
The newer models(2008 and up) have a system where it actually monitors your driving style and makes a recommendation on when to change the oil based on your driving....If you are hard on the truck, it will recommend oil changes earlier than if you are easy on the truck...

Matt 04-08-2010 08:05 AM

Re: Noob Question - Oil Change Message
 
Soo, Joe will probably need to change his every other week.

:D :p

Robert Palmer 04-08-2010 08:07 AM

Re: Noob Question - Oil Change Message
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 184946)
Soo, Joe will probably need to change his every other week.

:D :p

LOL. I have had my motor oil changed 3 times already. :lol: :D

Not kidding. LOL

Matt 04-08-2010 08:07 AM

Re: Noob Question - Oil Change Message
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Palmer (Post 184949)
LOL. I have had my motor oil changed 3 times already. :lol: :D

Not kidding. LOL

hahahaha!

Good man :thumbsup:

HemiDawg 04-08-2010 08:28 AM

Re: Noob Question - Oil Change Message
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by saleen032 (Post 184944)
The newer models(2008 and up) have a system where it actually monitors your driving style and makes a recommendation on when to change the oil based on your driving....If you are hard on the truck, it will recommend oil changes earlier than if you are easy on the truck...

Eewwww, that's not good...:D

Thanks for all of the replies - I will take her in shortly. Got a coupon from my dealer for a free first oil change.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community