Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Detailing (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/)
-   -   Is POLISHING after using a clay bar necessary? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/is-polishing-after-using-a-clay-bar-necessary-8427.html)

JDubya 04-10-2010 08:03 AM

Is POLISHING after using a clay bar necessary?

I planned on clay barring my Jeep today, then using the Blackfire sealer then carnauba wax but I just read that you should only clay bar if you plan on polishing afterwards as it add micro marring.

My paint is only 1500 miles old so I wasn't planning on any kind of paint correction/polishing. Should I just wash it very thoroughly before I use the sealant?

Matt 04-10-2010 08:11 AM

Re: Is POLISHING after using a clay bar necessary?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDubya (Post 186391)
I planned on clay barring my Jeep today, then using the Blackfire sealer then carnauba wax but I just read that you should only clay bar if you plan on polishing afterwards as it add micro marring.

My paint is only 1500 miles old so I wasn't planning on any kind of paint correction/polishing. Should I just wash it very thoroughly before I use the sealant?

No, it's not. The reverse is recommended though (clay before you polish).

As you know, claying will remove contaminants from your top coat, but it doesn't "brighten" the paint, at all (from what I've read). The only way to brighten your paint is to polish. Claying and waxing don't make the car any brighter.

If you're only at 1,500 miles, I seriously doubt you need to clay. I do mine about once a year, so maybe when you get to 10k miles you should think about it :p

I say wash her good, and throw a good coat or two of wax on top of her.

Save the clay.

Robert Palmer 04-10-2010 08:34 AM

Well you had the Jeep a month at least already, so the paint had time to breathe. Also if your Jeep wasnt special ordered and you happened to find one on a lot, who knows how long it was sitting there. A clay bar use (with a mild clay), then polish and then waxing wouldnt hurt a thing.

Up to you though.

JDubya 04-10-2010 08:40 AM

Yeah I dont want to do any polishing at this point, its unnecessary.

I know claying wont brighten the paint, I just thought it would be good prep for the sealant, but not if it adds any micro marring.

I'm not looking to "brighten" the paint, it's already plenty "brilliant" :p I just want to protect it

Thanks, I think i'll just give it a good wash then seal...

Matt 04-10-2010 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDubya (Post 186404)
Yeah I dont want to do any polishing at this point, its unnecessary.

I know claying wont brighten the paint, I just thought it would be good prep for the sealant, but not if it adds any micro marring.

I'm not looking to "brighten" the paint, it's already plenty "brilliant" :p I just want to protect it

Thanks, I think i'll just give it a good wash then seal...

I gotcha.

As Joe said, it's not going to hurt anything, but at only 1,500 miles I'd just hold out and cay/polish/seal after a year - and maintain that schedule.

Scottina06 04-10-2010 09:02 AM

the polishing is what will give you the deep, deep shine that you want. Not the wax or sealant. Its very important to maintain that new finish IMO.....especially with black.

JDubya 04-10-2010 10:31 AM

I have the deep shine I want and I'm aware waxes and sealants wont enhance it. What I want is to maintain and protect what I already have. Get my drift?

Scottina06 04-10-2010 10:36 AM

yes....and to maintain that you need to polish out the swirls and holograms that are inevitable no matter how hard you try to avoid them....especially with black. JMO

ALombardi 04-10-2010 10:55 AM

I did a nice long detail on tuesday with a clay bar and 2 coats of wax after.

dont have the tools nor do I feel like polishing it.

i DID however pick up a bunch of crap from the clay bars off the car. it was nice to know I got all the smaller things that a regular wash wouldnt be able to come close to removing.

JDubya 04-10-2010 11:10 AM

But there are no swirls lol that's what I'm trying to say. I don't want to create any by using a clay bar.

Until recently, the weather has been so bad (crazy amounts of snow and rain), or I've been out of town, that I've only been able to wash it once before. That, and it's garage kept so the paint is in great shape. I just want to protect its current state.

ALombardi 04-10-2010 11:14 AM

You cant make them using a clay bar?

JDubya 04-10-2010 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALombardi (Post 186462)
You cant make them using a clay bar?

According to Detailed Image:

"Using a clay bar can actually add minor imperfections in your paint so it's always best to follow up with a polish to remove any added micro-marring."