Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   shoulder belt won't release (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/shoulder-belt-wont-release-8428.html)

eyeski 04-10-2010 11:31 AM

shoulder belt won't release

My middle rear shoulder belt has locked with no slack, such that i can't return the rear seat to an upright postion. I tried to get it to release by pulling and releasing the slack i have, with no luck. Next I tried to loosen the nut that anchors the lower part of the belt. It is very tight, i wasn't sure if i should proceed in this manner. I have an extended warranty with a $100 deductible, should i just bring it to the dealer?
Thanks in advance 2006 grand cherokee

Scottina06 04-10-2010 12:03 PM

Re: shoulder belt won't release

I believe the tensioner is bad....you can try to find one on www.car-part.com If not or they cost more than $100...take it in

robpp 04-10-2010 01:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
its the little 'button' thing broke off.

what happens is the plastic stop that stops the belt retracting when you tilt the seat gets broken off so the belt goes in too far and then you canít get the belt back out. You need to fool the seat that the seat is in the upright position so you can unreal the belt then you just need to insert a new stop.

this thing:

eyeski 04-10-2010 03:43 PM

Not sure ur on track Rob, but thanks. Any one else have recomendations on how to get at the tensioner to remove it.

robpp 04-10-2010 03:54 PM

so you have that button like in my picture on the middle rear belt.

if its missing the belt goes TOO far and you cant release it.

Unbolt it from the floor when the seat is upright it will release.

jeepaholic 04-10-2010 07:18 PM

I have the same problem with mine. I ended up just unbolting it. I looked for the button on mine and it ha one near the bottom where the latch is. Didnt see a hole on the belt anyplace where a button might have been.

eyeski 04-10-2010 09:14 PM

The bolt on the floor is really tight is that normal?

jeepaholic 04-10-2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeski (Post 186673)
The bolt on the floor is really tight is that normal?

Yes its tight. It has undercoating on it since it runs through the floor.

eyeski 04-10-2010 09:24 PM

Thanks guys, tomorrow I'll give it another try. I'll let u know how i do.

eyeski 04-14-2010 03:43 PM

Damn bolt was tight as hell had to get my body shop friend with his most powerful air rachet to get it out. Once it was out the tensioner released. Put the bolt back and all set. Thanks for all ur help folks.

Chris 04-14-2010 04:31 PM

This happened to me, same belt and everything. I just took it in and they fixed it free under warranty :)

eyeski 04-15-2010 02:34 PM

Chris thanks for the info. I'm all set, but for others who might have this problem could you expand on your reply. I see yours is a 2006, what was the mileage and was it covered under some sort of safety belt warrenty.
thanks