Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Wheels/Tires/Brakes (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f199/)
-   -   Squeaky wheel! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f199/squeaky-wheel-8505.html)

StoneCold 04-13-2010 07:20 AM

Squeaky wheel!

Hi guys. Well my Jeep has developed a squeak coming from the front passenger (UK) side wheel. It only happens when driving anywhere between 20 - 40mph (upwards of that I guess the wheels turning too fast for the squeak to be audible). It's really irritating.

I think it's possibly the wear indicator, but I know nothing about brakes, so this will be first attempt for me. I've had the wheel off and had a look, but the result was just:eek::confused:

Any ideas?

Thanks guys

Ps Should point out that, yes I've got the crappy (Tevez?!) calipers and not the Akebono replacements and my rotors are warped. Will be replacing them at the same time

Unholyskorn86 04-13-2010 11:37 AM

Re: Squeaky wheel!

Yeah I say just do a complete brake job and check everything for wear. If that don't work at least you changed the warped rotors and used up pads. I'd also lube everything up. (wjjeeps.com)

StoneCold 04-13-2010 01:01 PM

Great thanks:thumbsup: Ordered the parts, but they're gonna take two days to get here:rolleyes:. No one locally stocks them, not even the dealership

Unholyskorn86 04-13-2010 03:41 PM

What parts did you get? Did you order the front caliper upgrade kit? (akebono) If so I hope you went through Justforjeeps and used the coupon code.

StoneCold 04-13-2010 03:58 PM

So far I've only ordered the rotors and pads. Had a quick look at akebono calipers on ebay but they were 160 each! :eek: So may have to wait until next month to get those. I didn't know there were coupon codes for justforjeeps

DJ BoNiOmArIo 04-13-2010 06:00 PM

if it happens when going those speeds might wanna check the hub bearings and check to see if the bushings are worn or not

josef15111 04-13-2010 06:23 PM

mine also made a bad noise like your staing onoly above 20 tho. i changed brakes it didnt fix it i have the akebono on all ready too. i have wheel hubs sitting here with new ball joints hope it fixes it. mine dont do it right now just every now and then and definttly when its cold out.

StoneCold 04-14-2010 02:28 AM

mine seems to be intermittant as well. But it does happen on every run, I drive around twenty miles to work and back. It'll start off quiet then after a couple of miles it squeaks, then back to quiet and then squeaky again.

I'll take the whole thing apart and have a good look around. I was planning on replacing the brakes anyway. I'll just be doing it sooner now:thumbsup:

StoneCold 04-14-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boniomario (Post 188524)
if it happens when going those speeds might wanna check the hub bearings and check to see if the bushings are worn or not

I never thought of that Mario, thanks:thumbsup:. I'm just assuming its the brakes cause I know they're past it.

SRTILL8 04-14-2010 11:40 AM

gl with this bro! once my XJ got locked into part time 4WD*:eek:
coast me bank to fix it up-:(

StoneCold 04-14-2010 12:32 PM

Ouch:eek:. Pretty sure this will be straight forward,at least I hope so, otherwise me and WJ will be:slapfight::lol:

Martyp 04-14-2010 03:47 PM

You've ordered the brakes now so hopefully they will sort it for ya, if not they were warped anyway so you've not lost anything really.

Although, I was thinking about the wheel/hub bearings from reading your first post too... Does it get louder when you are turning a corner?

If it is the ball joints though stay away from the main dealer!! When I bought my Jeep a couple of year back it made a bad vibration when turning near full lock and the dealer said the front ball joints were shot - odd at 32k miles though!? Anyway they changed them and hit me with a bill of 850 notes. I was gob smacked. You can get non-Mopar ones for a lot less and obviously a indepentat garage will change less than half the labour too.