Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   whats louder and better sounding???? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/whats-louder-and-better-sounding-8525.html)

rsone11 04-13-2010 06:40 PM

whats louder and better sounding????

i currently have a magnaflow catback exhaust with the muffler cutout i just left the resonator on my 2008 5.7 hemi i was considering a gibson catback system is worth the change ?

hemi.jon 04-13-2010 06:43 PM

Re: whats louder and better sounding????

my elec cutout rules who needs an exhaust..lol

rsone11 04-13-2010 07:39 PM

yea but in the back of mny head i feel like im losing power with no muffler

Frankie 04-13-2010 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsone11 (Post 188569)
yea but in the back of mny head i feel like im losing power with no muffler

I did some research back in the day when Joe and me were going back and forth between mufflers and read "a muffler has no true effect on performance unless it's inner diameter is smaller than the inner diameter of the exhaust piping preceding it"!

Not 100% on how true it is...But I read diff variations of it on numerous sites!

05quadratrac 04-14-2010 01:05 AM

I'd throw on a smaller Magnaflow and cut out the resonator. I use a 18in Magnaflow on my 4.7 with no res and it sounds good. If you want super loud I would go even smaller on the muffler but the 18in is loud, people will know you're near especially when your on the gas. A cold air intake will help with sound if you dont already have one.

Scottina06 04-14-2010 03:08 AM

no resonator=drone, drone and more drone

Mike_Levy 04-14-2010 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxSTUGOTSxox (Post 188583)
I did some research back in the day when Joe and me were going back and forth between mufflers and read "a muffler has no true effect on performance unless it's inner diameter is smaller than the inner diameter of the exhaust piping preceding it"!

Not 100% on how true it is...But I read diff variations of it on numerous sites!

Thats not correct. I'm on my 5th system on the Jeep and there is definetly a difference depending on the muffler(s).

Scottina06 04-14-2010 06:17 AM

yeah.....I guess there could be if you go from mild(stock) to wild.....but what 1/2 hp? LOL

jcostri09 04-14-2010 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_Levy (Post 188662)
Thats not correct. I'm on my 5th system on the Jeep and there is definetly a difference depending on the muffler(s).

Well what do you recommend? What systems have you had and what changes have you noticed with each one? I know you have other performance mods done but in general...

555ctsv 04-14-2010 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi.jon (Post 188540)
my elec cutout rules who needs an exhaust..lol

Electric cutout? WEAK! I just have the cutout, i have no need to close it! jk Im waiting until the end of the month when the new version of the Doug's headers cutouts start shipping. I think the 2.5" ships 4-22-10 and the 3" is 4-29-10? Until then its loud loud loud! Theres an apartment above my garage and man i bet they just love it every morning when i start the thing up! lol

Mike_Levy 04-14-2010 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 188669)
yeah.....I guess there could be if you go from mild(stock) to wild.....but what 1/2 hp? LOL

Its not the peak that matters, its the power under the curve. The flow of the muffler changes the power curve, which affects acceleration and performance.

Mike_Levy 04-14-2010 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcostri09 (Post 188674)
Well what do you recommend? What systems have you had and what changes have you noticed with each one? I know you have other performance mods done but in general...

My systems were: 1. Stock, 2. Corsa, 3. MagnaFlow, 4. Modified stock, 5. Borla S.

The best performance was definetly with the Magnaflow. Thats what was on the truck for her 3.48 0-60 and 11.91 1/4 runs. Unfortunetly, the fit was off.

The Corsa sounds incredible, but flowed too well and killed the torque curve.

The stock and its modded version were quiet, but the motor didn't wanna rev.

And the Borla is a freaking beast. It drones like crazy, looks awesome, sounds awesome, and flows good but not too good.

Of course, thats the results on my modded 6.1. Other motors will have different results, due to flow and exhaust system design.