Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   02 high RPM (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/02-high-rpm-8568.html)

02 WJ 4.7 V8 04-14-2010 09:15 PM

02 high RPM

hey guys i was wondering if you ocould help me clear my head when im driving on the highway and im going up a slight hill i step down on the throttle slowly but nothing happens until one point it just hits a high RPM i was thinking it was the gears shifting i just wanted to make sure it was that and nothing es that is serious

thanks for the help if you can

Frango100 04-16-2010 04:06 PM

Re: 02 high RPM

When you say nothing happens, you also mean that the car is not accelerating at all? It is normal behaviour though for the automatic gearbox to shift down when you want to accelerate quickly at highway speeds.

02 WJ 4.7 V8 04-16-2010 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 190860)
When you say nothing happens, you also mean that the car is not accelerating at all? It is normal behaviour though for the automatic gearbox to shift down when you want to accelerate quickly at highway speeds.

Like literally when im going up a slight hill on the highway going about 60 and i want to go fast i have to push down on the pedal harder and then at a point it shifts i think and you hear the motor and the RPM jumps up but never red lines though

dhillon09 04-16-2010 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02 WJ 4.7 V8 (Post 191049)
Like literally when im going up a slight hill on the highway going about 60 and i want to go fast i have to push down on the pedal harder and then at a point it shifts i think and you hear the motor and the RPM jumps up but never red lines though

In my opinion, the WJ's transmission is a piece of driving gold. I love it. I love how quickly it downshifts, and as far as automatic transmissions go, I absolutely love the WJ. I hate all the other cars we have with a passion.

Basically there's a transmission kickdown cable that triggers a downshift when you push your pedal down far enough. If you wanna pass someone, give that skinny pedal hell and let the V8 unleash. You can't juice it and then ease off once it downshifts because the noise scares you :p

Off topic, but I love the WJ .. it feels so raw. Theres no delay in pedal being pushed to RPM's spiking (direct link between gas pedal and TB ftw!). I absolutely hate my brothers 300C because there's a major delay. Also, if you're going uphill a lot of people turn off the overdrive for more spirited driving. So you could always experiment with that but you'll get crappier gas mileage

scjeep4.7HO 04-17-2010 12:06 PM

4.7 doesn't have a kickdown linkage the 545RFE is fully electronic transmission. How many miles does your car have?

dhillon09 04-17-2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scjeep4.7HO (Post 191206)
4.7 doesn't have a kickdown linkage the 545RFE is fully electronic transmission. How many miles does your car have?

Really? I always thought it did ... my chrysler for sure doesn't have one and the driving experience is dull as hell, damn thing barely ever downshifts.

Denny boy 04-18-2010 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02 WJ 4.7 V8 (Post 189538)
hey guys i was wondering if you ocould help me clear my head when im driving on the highway and im going up a slight hill i step down on the throttle slowly but nothing happens until one point it just hits a high RPM i was thinking it was the gears shifting i just wanted to make sure it was that and nothing es that is serious

thanks for the help if you can

it's normal don't worry.

scjeep4.7HO 04-18-2010 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhillon09 (Post 191419)
Really? I always thought it did ... my chrysler for sure doesn't have one and the driving experience is dull as hell, damn thing barely ever downshifts.

As far as I recollect it died off with the end of the 3.9, 5.2 & 5.9 Magnums and their trannies which where mechanical/electrical transmissions

02 WJ 4.7 V8 04-18-2010 09:15 PM

thanks guys for your imput and i deffentlly think its just the gears shifting and i love my WJ it always has power when i want it it hard not to go fast with this and ya ill admit the first time i really stepped on the gass and heard the engine roar it scared me haha.. i have 76000 miles on it ... also the WJ's have the best power this weekend ive drove my buddys firebird and my friends VW jetta and they dont compare to my baby