Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Performance Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/)
-   -   K & n ? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/k-and-n-8580.html)

rayray 04-15-2010 11:31 AM

K & n ?

HI
My air filter needs to be changed out. If money was no object i would put a K&N cold air Kit on itbut im not working so $ is an issue. Is it worth the $ to get a stock K&N replacement? or just go with a normal paper filter

thanks for your input

DJ BoNiOmArIo 04-15-2010 11:34 AM

Re: K & n ?

well with the drop in filter the best part is you can always clean it and put it back in there with the cleaning kit as with the dry air filter you have to replace the whole thing

plus some claim that K&N is better and some don't think so ... plus the drop in ones are oiled which in my experience the oil has a better chance of catching micro-contaminants that a regular dry filter will not be able to catch ... this is of course my opinion and not based on facts

99limited 04-15-2010 11:35 AM

i would just go with the normal paper filter for now, then when you start working and get money rolling in you can get a CAI.

White WK Swagga 04-15-2010 11:36 AM

I got the K&N drop in for free. I don't notice much of a difference at all not even in MPG's. The temp of the air now that it's warmer out has effected performance more than my air filter. IMO whatever you get just keep it clean.

Matt 04-15-2010 12:28 PM

I would go paper filter.

There isn't going to be a difference between that and a K&N and the K&N is oiled which I've read can get into your engine. That was enough for me to stay away. Paper filter FTW!

Hemi WK 04-15-2010 12:34 PM

I have used k&n drop in's on many vehicles and have never had any problems. With as quickly as a paper filter gets clogged in my area the k&n's save me money in the long run.

John_R 04-15-2010 06:23 PM

The main advantage is not having to buy filters again, although it's ~$10 for the recharger kit; which should last 2 or 3 cleaning/oilings at least. If you have a Pep Boys nearby, they often have $10 off K&N filters and imagine the Jeep is popular enough for it to be an in stock item (per the coupon).

As far as performance gain, it's pretty small (IF you're air filter is perfectly clean to begin with). Luckily, we don't have MAF (Mass Airflow), so you don't have to worry about getting oil on its sensor(s).

I bet you could get a K&N for ~$30 with the coupon and less if you find a good used one here. The oem-paper is probably around $10-15, so it only takes a couple times to pay for itself. Besides, if you go to CAI later, you can sell your K&N for ~75% of the new cost, I'd imagine. Personally, that is the way I'd go...

Denny boy 04-15-2010 09:00 PM

im using the dropin till i get a new intake. i dont like the k&n filters, the oil worries me. i feel like it would restricted the flow

John_R 04-15-2010 10:54 PM

If you get an 'intake' though, it will more than likely come with an oil-based filter (i.e. K&N). If you apply per the directions, there are no issues using these types. I've personally logged probably 300k miles or more using them on all sorts of vehicles, without any problems. The only time you really ever need to 'worry' about the oil is if it's sprayed on excessively, you immediately start it up and some droplets form on the sensor of a mass air flow sensor. Even then, you can just spray some MAS cleaner....However, we have speed density and no sensor, so there's that much less worry there.

Besides, you are helping to save mother earth by not having to throw it away [/deep sarcasm]

Hemi WK 04-15-2010 11:44 PM

I seriously don't understand the concern of the oil?? What is it going to harm? I use oil (injected directly into the carb/throttle body) to "fog" various engines during the off season.

B.P.O.D 04-16-2010 09:22 AM

i just threw one into my mom's 300 as well. much easier than buying new ones all the time.

rayray 04-20-2010 08:51 AM

Thanks for all the input,but im going to toss a paper filter in it...for now.
My job called yesterday and i go back to work on the 3rd so ill get a cold air kit in about a month or so.

thanks again
ray