Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Any other options besides Bilstein for front shocks? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/any-other-options-besides-bilstein-for-front-shocks-8677.html)

JDubya 04-18-2010 06:43 PM

Any other options besides Bilstein for front shocks?

My stock shocks are fine but while everything's apart for the Superlift install, I'd like to install something that rides better. And by "rides better" i mean handles better--i like firm and precise as opposed to floating. I'd go with Bilstein but I don't want any additional height in front, I hate the higher-in-front look.

What would you recommend?

Scottina06 04-18-2010 06:51 PM

Re: Any other options besides Bilstein for front shocks?

Koni makes two shocks/struts for the WK...

Heavy Track(offroading)--8240-1264 & 8240-1265

FSD-(frequency selective damping) 2100-4108-sports performance

all the other available are stock equivelents....ie. monroe etc etc

JDubya 04-18-2010 06:56 PM

hmm, has anyone here tried the Koni Heavy Tracks? How are they compared to the Bilsteins?

Robert Palmer 04-18-2010 06:58 PM

Just like the Gibson exhaust, bro you are going to have to take another one for the team again. :lol:

Scottina06 04-18-2010 06:59 PM

I dont know anyone that has tried them. Im pretty sure they are new to market

JDubya 04-18-2010 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Palmer (Post 191806)
Just like the Gibson exhaust, bro you are going to have to take another one for the team again. :lol:

lol oh fine

Let me do some research first

JDubya 04-19-2010 09:32 AM

I shot Koni an email with some questions and they responded: "Don't have anything for lifted trucks, sorry."

IFS is still pretty new to me but for the front Superlift install, you don't need longer shocks, do you? The Superlift doesn't necessarily increase travel, it' just relocates things. Is this correct or do I need longer shocks?

Kreso 04-19-2010 10:16 AM

Check OME

JOSHinSOCAL 04-19-2010 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDubya (Post 192095)
I shot Koni an email with some questions and they responded: "Don't have anything for lifted trucks, sorry."

IFS is still pretty new to me but for the front Superlift install, you don't need longer shocks, do you? The Superlift doesn't necessarily increase travel, it' just relocates things. Is this correct or do I need longer shocks?

That is correct. You do not need longer shocks. OME has replacement shocks that are 2" longer than Bilsteins. This is for increased travel only. Shocks generally do not increase ride height alone. Springs/spacer are needed for the lift.

Granted I have no personal experience with what I have mentioned but I have read it numerous times on these forums.

The question that remains to be answered is: Has anyone used both OME and Bilstein shocks? If so, which one is better?

DurangoZJ 04-25-2010 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDubya (Post 191793)
My stock shocks are fine but while everything's apart for the Superlift install, I'd like to install something that rides better. And by "rides better" i mean handles better--i like firm and precise as opposed to floating. I'd go with Bilstein but I don't want any additional height in front, I hate the higher-in-front look.

What would you recommend?

I have Bilstein up front w/ my Superlift. There is no "higher in the front" look.

NHWK05 04-25-2010 09:09 PM

I highly doubt that the front end will be higher. its only 3/8" and thats negligible. I will be installing my bilsteins this week so i will let you know.

JDubya 04-25-2010 10:11 PM

yeah if you could take some before and after hub center-to-fender measurements, that'd be great.

Does anyone have the Bilstein part number on hand?