Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Motor break-in period-synthetic oil (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/motor-break-in-period-synthetic-oil-8691.html)

gc4x4 04-18-2010 10:35 PM

Motor break-in period-synthetic oil

Well im almost to to 6k miles and i already did two oil changes with regular castrol oil. I was wondering when the break-in time for the motor is over because I want to switch over to castrol synthetic oil at the next oil change. Will it hurt to switch it over now? Thanks:)

1bajaboy 04-19-2010 12:20 AM

Re: Motor break-in period-synthetic oil

You should have left the break in oil for the first 6k?? It could have been synthetic?? Ck the web site or owners manual............
:confused::confused:

gc4x4 04-19-2010 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1bajaboy (Post 191970)
You should have left the break in oil for the first 6k?? It could have been synthetic?? Ck the web site or owners manual............
:confused::confused:

I was told to change the oil normally at 3k miles with regular oil, then once the motor breaks-in then I can switch over to synthetic. I want to know what the break-in mileage is? 10k miles?

AB Jeepster 04-19-2010 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gc4x4 (Post 191928)
Well im almost to to 6k miles and i already did two oil changes with regular castrol oil. I was wondering when the break-in time for the motor is over because I want to switch over to castrol synthetic oil at the next oil change. Will it hurt to switch it over now? Thanks:)

Royal Purple makes "break in" synthetic oil....

gc4x4 04-21-2010 12:01 AM

Ive decided, at my next oil change at (8k miles) I am going to switch over to Castrol Synthetic 5w20 , I will be making some long trips before hand and I believe that will finish the break-in of the motor.:)

ekaz 04-21-2010 07:43 AM

You'll befine switching over to synthetic, no worries.

05wkguy 04-21-2010 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AB Jeepster (Post 192286)
Royal Purple makes "break in" synthetic oil....

That's for initial start up and "run-in" on a freshly built engine with flat tappet cam. They only recommend it for the first couple hundred miles.

Escape 04-21-2010 11:17 PM

On my custom built forged engine I ran it for 100 miles with break-in oil. Changed over to regular oil for the next 500. Then regular oil again for the next 3k then switched to AmsOil synthetic. Regular 3k intervals after that.

3,600 miles until I used synthetic.

Your fine to switch over now, no worries!

Ridin' Around 04-22-2010 09:28 PM

There are multiple high performance vehicles that come off of the assembly line full of Synthetic. The Corvette is one of those, & several European lines as well, I believe that BMW & Mercedes both use synthetic as a factory fill. engines are built with way different tolences than they were even 20 years ago & lubricant technology is changing nearly daily to stay on top of ever-changing manufacturer & environtmental, EPA, API, CAFE, ACEA, IL-SAC, etc specs.

switch it ASAP!

cain45 04-23-2010 11:10 AM

I don't think you have to wait at all. I use Royal Purple in my Hemi with no problems. The only time I think you'd have to worry about using synthetic is if you had a valve cover leak already. The synthetic would leak more.

JDubya 04-25-2010 11:20 AM

You don't have to wait. I switched my HEMI to Castrol Syntec very early.

Apparently the SRT8 comes with Mobil 1 from the factory.

I know Mobil[1] is in the business to sell more oil but this is what they had to say: http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Mot...ics/Myths.aspx