Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   Intermittent no start, any ideas? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/intermittent-no-start-any-ideas-8745.html)

esritz 04-20-2010 06:36 PM

Intermittent no start, any ideas?

Hey guys I have a '02 wj 4.0.
Over the last month it has had trouble starting about every 10 days or so.
It will first act as if there's a dead battery & give me no lights, no crank, nothing. Then if I try again it will begin cranking but feel short on fuel until I pump the gas to get it to turn over.
I had a shop diag the problem a couple weeks ago & they recommended a new crankshaft position sensor so I put one in. But now the same problem has come up again. I know the cam position sensor can cause a similar problem, but that wasn't the diag result when it was tested.
I don't get trouble codes, but the vehicle runs like its short on fuel, more so when cold. It seems like a fuel delivery problem, but why would I have no electrical occasionally? Also when it gives me no electrical & then starts up its as if I had disconnected the battery. It will reset the trip odometer, the radio station, the clock, etc.
Any helpful advice would be great.

Joe in PA 04-20-2010 06:58 PM

Re: Intermittent no start, any ideas?

Sounds to me like you could use at least a new fuel filter and definitely need to get your battery and charging system checked. Might also need a fuel pump but that would be the last thing I'd try as it isn't the easiest/cheapest thing to replace.

Unholyskorn86 04-21-2010 02:16 AM

Redo your battery terminals is where i'd start and probably the cheapest. Even cleaning them might help...

02 WJ 4.7 V8 04-22-2010 08:53 PM

it could also be the starter and solenoid .. bc i no on my buddys firebird we had problems with it not starting at times and like the radio stations would reset and everything and that was the problem also if this occurs alot your battery could be shot too .. what you should do is when you start it take a voltage meter and see how many volts the battery is making when the car is off and then when its running when its running it should get about 14 volts give or take and when the car is off it should be 12 volts... also if you can try useing a load tester which test the battery to see if it can handle a load and will let you really no if the battery is shot or not

Hannotek 08-22-2010 06:31 AM

I've been dealing with this problem for a few months now. I found that when I disconnected the neg battery cable for a couple minutes, as soon as I put it back on and cranked it, it would be fine. That band-aid fix would only last a few days though.
Explaining that issue to a Jeep Dealership, they said it was the ECM, and that could only be gotten from them, but they wouldn't do it unless it recreated the problem for them...which it never did.
A few days ago, I had a hard time starting it, but it continued to turn over and ran eventually. I headed to a shop who diag'ed it and found that the fuel pump was only pushing 5lbs of pressure. It's still in the shop now, and I'm not sure if those two problems are related. I have the feeling that one caused the other.

I'm not even sure if that will help anyone, as it's still an ongoing problem. As soon as I get anything new, I'll post it.

Frango100 08-22-2010 06:56 AM

Did you change the combined fuel filter/pressure regulator before?

0l1v3r 06-07-2011 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hannotek (Post 256935)
I've been dealing with this problem for a few months now. I found that when I disconnected the neg battery cable for a couple minutes, as soon as I put it back on and cranked it, it would be fine.

Were you ever able to resolve this problem ? I have exactly the same symptoms and have to "band aid' almost every morning to get my WJ to start.