Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f198/)
-   -   Shock Absorbers??? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f198/shock-absorbers-8761.html)

caa0428 04-21-2010 01:24 PM

Shock Absorbers???

Need help with finding a good pair of shocks that are a direct fit for a WJ if anyone has suggestions on what I should buy. (Mostly city driving so smooth on road would be good but something that is capable for the weekends) Thanks in advance.:confused:

vicpick58 04-21-2010 08:23 PM

Re: Shock Absorbers???

Asking about shocks is kind of like asking what is the best beer, everyone will have their own opinion about what they like.

Personally, I like the Monroe Reflex shocks, I use my Jeep for work and spend a lot of time on the paved highway with a fairly heavy load of tools and test equipment inside. But they are somewhat firm for driving around empty, so if that is your style you could try the Sense a track shocks.

What ever you decide, do yourself a favor and go to Lowes or somewhere and pick up a set of four M12-1.75x70 grade 8.8 bolts. Replace the factory rear bolts with them, and you will have less chance that they will rattle and clunk every time you hit a bump.

caa0428 04-21-2010 08:30 PM

Ya I figured I was opening up a can of worms. I am sort of leaning toward the Edelbrock Performer shocks. Does anyone have them or heard any good or bad press about them?

Motteler621 04-21-2010 11:03 PM

Most people around here like the bilstein shocks. thats what I put on my wj. I have no complaints whatsoever with them. They look pretty cool as well.

Kman09JGC 04-22-2010 04:48 PM

I had edelbrock IAS shocks on my 99 laredo 4.7 QD. They were nice except the bushings rotted out on them in 4 yrs. I guess they coudnt handle the Ohio winters. I put rancho RSX shock on after I think they are a better shock. Sold the jeep to my brother and the shocks are still going strong. Good Luck.

00wj 06-01-2010 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caa0428 (Post 194076)
Ya I figured I was opening up a can of worms. I am sort of leaning toward the Edelbrock Performer shocks. Does anyone have them or heard any good or bad press about them?

I have them and they are much better than stock and the monroes the only thing is that they are really expensive... if your still looking for shocks i will be willing to sell my two rear edelbrocks for about $120...

nwb300 06-01-2010 11:55 AM

I'm getting a pair soon myself. Good call on getting heavier bolts for the back. The stock ones do have a little rattle over bumps. How are the Edelbrock's and the bilstein in the winter weather? I live in michigan and I have had two sets of rancho and they are pretty good shocks, but they rust in one winter and look like crap. lol

josef15111 06-01-2010 01:08 PM

im going to be going with the bilsteins i have always heard nothing but good from them,

caa0428 06-01-2010 02:21 PM

I put on the Edelbrock shocks and I love then no rattle, perfect stiffness and less body roll with 31" tires and a 2 inch lift

doublejz 06-01-2010 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motteler621 (Post 194172)
Most people around here like the bilstein shocks. thats what I put on my wj. I have no complaints whatsoever with them. They look pretty cool as well.

I personally think they are too soft. I just put a set all around on my jeep and well.. I don't like them. If you hit a bump in a turn it doesn't feel like the rear end is following you.

josef15111 06-01-2010 03:07 PM

Quote:

If you hit a bump in a turn it doesn't feel like the rear end is following you.
not to sure but i dont think shocks would play as much of a big roll in the cornering bumps as the sway bar would. May wanna check thoses out and upgrade that. imo upgraded it..

doublejz 06-01-2010 03:30 PM

Already have addco swap and stiffer springs. I'm also not saying its due to roll. Its more or less the back end bouncing over the bumps almost skipping through the turn. It started with the first drive after I swapped out the DT 8000s for bilstein shocks. They are great for the highway though.