Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Engine light on (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/engine-light-on-8804.html)

1054EDP 04-22-2010 08:23 PM

Engine light on

I recently tried using an additive called seafoam, to try to fix a rough idle issue on my WJ.. well after a few runs with the additive in my engine, my check engine light comes on. It says i have a misfire in cylinder seven... Whats the best thing to do a this point?

02 WJ 4.7 V8 04-22-2010 08:48 PM

Re: Engine light on

hey man did you follow all the direction in that? because i no i was reading up about that seafoam stuff but i no you had to get a oil change right away because it contaminates it and i also remeber something about the sparkplugs but not tottally sure

1054EDP 04-22-2010 09:18 PM

Yep, i sure did. You're supposed to change the oil within 30 miles of application.. Changing it tomorrow morning

Joe in PA 04-22-2010 09:26 PM

If you poured more then 1/2 a can of seafoam into the opening in the valve cover or failed to suck a 1/2 can through one of the vacuum lines on the intake manifold, that might be part of your problem. I generally do the intake first, let it sit for 15mins and run it hard to blow out the crap. Then I add the other half to the crankcase while it is still hot, run it at idle for maybe 15mins, let it cool down and replace the oil & filter along with all new spark plugs.

If I were you, I'd change the oil and filter, run some sea foam through the intake, and either run a little more through the crankcase and/or change the oil & filter again.

No way in hades I'd ever drive any of my Jeeps 30 miles with seafoam in the oil. :eek:

Unholyskorn86 04-22-2010 10:14 PM

Wait, you let it sit in the engine overnight? lol ouch. I think that is bad, not 100% sure but I thought you put it in, run the truck around the block a couple times and change it immediately after or let it sit for no longer then 15 mins....

1054EDP 04-22-2010 10:47 PM

I read the instructions straight from the Seafoam website. It says, "To clean oil rings and lifters, add 1 oz. Sea Foam to each quart of oil. Sea Foam will slowly re-liquefy the old oil varnish residue that builds up on lifters and rings and prevents them from functioning normally. This process can be done as part of a pre service cleaning by adding the Sea Foam to the oil at least 30 miles before the next oil change interval. OR it can be done as a preventative maintenance process without changing the oil. You can leave Sea Foam in the oil indefinitely as long as the oil is clean. The addition of a high-detergent oil like Sea Foam may cause the oil to become dirty faster than normal as buildup oil residue and contamination are cleaned. Check the oil at regular intervals and when it gets dirty, change it".

1054EDP 04-22-2010 10:52 PM

I poured 1/2 a can in the crankcase, and 1/2 a can down a vacuum tube, and 1/2 in the gas tank. Waited the usual 10 minutes, then ran it on the highway a couple of short trips. The engine light came on, on my first pass on a short highway trip.. no more than 1 1/2 miles. The light is still on. I will change the plugs, oil, and air filter all at the same time.
If the light stays on, what else could be causing the problem?

Frango100 04-23-2010 06:43 AM

Does the engine run more roughly after the CEL came on? There can be something in between the electrodes of ignitor #7, causing the misfire. Check that first.

1054EDP 04-23-2010 07:42 AM

Actually no, it runs just a little bit smoother.. Nothing to pronounced. I'm hoping what ever it is it'll blow out

Unholyskorn86 04-23-2010 01:34 PM

My guess is change the oil and disconnect the battery to get rid of the CEL and see if it works...

1054EDP 04-25-2010 09:13 AM

It actually went out on its own after two days. Did an oil change and the oil looked like tar it was so black..

Unholyskorn86 04-25-2010 11:28 AM

Cool man, glad it worked. My guess is next time don't leave that stuff in there too long...black tar oil isn't good, the stuff is meant to clean all that stuff from the engine, but it goes into the oil. Glad it went away!