Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Visual Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/)
-   -   Tinted Tails Brightness (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/tinted-tails-brightness-8845.html)

Relwarc 04-24-2010 03:03 PM

Tinted Tails Brightness
 
ok, instead of hijacking other people's threads, im starting one.

I have a problem, i LOVE my daniels dark tinted tails.... but they are the stock housing and the little custom LED bulb mod i did is NOT bright enough in sunlight.

I have heard mixed reviews on the LED tails with clear lenses tinted.

I want to start a conversation about safety.... are the LED tails brighter through the tint? or not?

Mine are plain NOT safe... i have had people tell me they think mine are broken.

I dont want to hear stuff like "too bad" or "maybe they should pay attention" That is of NO consolation after i've been rear ended!

I want to keep the tinted tails look, and i know lots of people do. I think we need a definitive answer on which type is brighter and therefore safer.

Scottina06 04-24-2010 03:04 PM

Re: Tinted Tails Brightness
 
yours are way dark bro....you should go with a medium tint

robpp 04-24-2010 03:09 PM

Re: Tinted Tails Brightness
 
i see a few choices.

1. get rid of the LED bulbs and go for the high output ones. 4457 I think, you can look it up on sylvania.com

2. new tails with a lighter tint.

3. LED Tails. Now for the 07, you will get a FULL side for brake or blink and my experience is the LED ones non tinited almost hurt your eyes behind them. they are bright, esp at night. so IMO LED tails are the brightest option. so then same tint on all options, LED is best. I have seen Daniel paint the sides and such real dark but leave MOSt of the area the covers the LEDs much lighter so you get almost stock output. paul medic had something like that due to police harrassment IIRC.

IMO, if you want dark like you have, no choice but LED tails.

Relwarc 04-24-2010 03:10 PM

Re: Tinted Tails Brightness
 
yeah...... but i love how dark they are.

Is that my problem? they are darker than most people's?

Relwarc 04-24-2010 03:13 PM

Re: Tinted Tails Brightness
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 195490)

1. get rid of the LED bulbs and go for the high output ones. 4457 I think, you can look it up on sylvania.com

Mine are actually high output bulbs, i switched from the SRCK plug to the SRC (or whatever) and got the V-stars.

2. new tails with a lighter tint.

Meh.... the darkness matches my jeep's color so well. haha

3. LED Tails. Now for the 07, you will get a FULL side for brake or blink and my experience is the LED ones non tinited almost hurt your eyes behind them. they are bright, esp at night. so IMO LED tails are the brightest option. so then same tint on all options, LED is best. I have seen Daniel paint the sides and such real dark but leave MOSt of the area the covers the LEDs much lighter so you get almost stock output. paul medic had something like that due to police harrassment IIRC.

Are there any pics of his? I think that might be bad ass, dark on the side, not as dark on the front. Were they blended well?

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm starting to think this is a problem that only i am having because mine are so dark.

Relwarc 04-24-2010 03:44 PM

Re: Tinted Tails Brightness
 
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SONAR...Q5fAccessories

are these the same as the clear ones? Just as bright? just with a black housing, not a chrome one?

robpp 04-24-2010 03:54 PM

Re: Tinted Tails Brightness
 
here is a post by paul. the pics are gone but the vids still work. he even tells you where to scroll to.

the brake lights are plenty bright. I think he used the clear ones. and the rectangle area where the light comes thru was tinted much less than the rest of the light.

so the best of both worlds. when the light is off it looks rtotally black but lights or brake on, it lights up plenty.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread...2213#post82213

Fireman310pt 04-24-2010 04:07 PM

Re: Tinted Tails Brightness
 
What about something like this?: http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/B...72898-1-2.html

I'm considering it or a high power equivalent and then maybe medium tint a little later on.

Frankie 04-24-2010 04:10 PM

Re: Tinted Tails Brightness
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Relwarc (Post 195503)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SONAR...Q5fAccessories

are these the same as the clear ones? Just as bright? just with a black housing, not a chrome one?

Yes!

Frankie 04-24-2010 04:11 PM

Re: Tinted Tails Brightness
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Relwarc (Post 195492)
yeah...... but i love how dark they are.

Is that my problem? they are darker than most people's?

Mine are the same...Stock ones were ok, but LEDs are excellent!

Relwarc 04-24-2010 04:31 PM

Re: Tinted Tails Brightness
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fireman310pt (Post 195509)
What about something like this?: http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/B...72898-1-2.html

I'm considering it or a high power equivalent and then maybe medium tint a little later on.

i have those, i had to re-wire my whole thing, plugs and everything. They are great, but not bright enough!

Relwarc 04-24-2010 04:32 PM

Re: Tinted Tails Brightness
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 195506)
here is a post by paul. the pics are gone but the vids still work. he even tells you where to scroll to.

the brake lights are plenty bright. I think he used the clear ones. and the rectangle area where the light comes thru was tinted much less than the rest of the light.

so the best of both worlds. when the light is off it looks rtotally black but lights or brake on, it lights up plenty.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread...2213#post82213

Thanks for the input! i think this is the path i plan on taking.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community