Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Question about HIDs (fogs) (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/question-about-hids-fogs-8908.html)

HemiDawg 04-26-2010 12:56 PM

Question about HIDs (fogs)

I installed a set of HID fogs in my X5 quite awhile ago. Kit was called Apexcone, but it appears to be a DDMTuning slim ballast kit. I have always had issues with one side intermittently not igniting - predominantly the driver's side, but sometimes the passenger side. Usually I can turn them off and back on and then they both light up. I installed the anti-flicker units, the heavy duty wiring harness, etc., but nothing has resolved the issue. Usually I end up replacing a ballast every 6-8 months. They came with a lifetime warranty, but it is a pain having to pull it out, return it, and wait on the replacement.

I decided that this must be something related to the X5, but this weekend I installed the same kit in the GC and sure enough the driver's side does not always ignite on the first try. This is strictly the kit, no add-ons as mentioned above.

First off, I would like to hear if anyone else has this issue bc it appears quite a few people have done this mod. Any suggestions would be appreciated as far as a fix. If the consensus is the kit, then any suggestions on an alternate HID kit would also be appreciated.

08Hemi 04-26-2010 03:05 PM

Re: Question about HIDs (fogs)

I love my slim ballast from XenonDepot (vendor here)...get in touch with Steve.

So do you have a relay for each ballast? The kit I got from XD came with 4 relays, 1 for each ballast...those connect directly to the battery and have a "built-in" fuse. I would check and re-check your grounds. There have been multiple issues reported on here (myself included) where the grounds were the culprit...sand them down to bare metal and seal them up. I did an install thread and product review on the XD volt kit. Hope that helps

White WK Swagga 04-26-2010 03:14 PM

Sometimes when I swap my 3k to 6k fog bulbs they dont fire up on the first try. I have to turn the lights off and back on again. It'll work properly after about a week or so. IDK WTF it is but it just happens.

I think If I go to swap them again I'll try some conductor lube in the plugs.

HemiDawg 04-26-2010 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08Hemi (Post 196482)
I love my slim ballast from XenonDepot (vendor here)...get in touch with Steve.

So do you have a relay for each ballast? The kit I got from XD came with 4 relays, 1 for each ballast...those connect directly to the battery and have a "built-in" fuse. I would check and re-check your grounds. There have been multiple issues reported on here (myself included) where the grounds were the culprit...sand them down to bare metal and seal them up. I did an install thread and product review on the XD volt kit. Hope that helps

There are no relays with the kit on my GC. The factory wiring goes straight to the ballast and then from there to the bulb. The kit I have on the X5 I added a heavy-duty wiring harness - it did have at least one relay.

My kit looks identical to the XD Volt kit. Ballasts look the same, connectors look the same, etc.

In the pic for the XD Volt, I don't see any relays, but you said yours came with them??

08Hemi 04-26-2010 04:03 PM

here is my install thread so you know what i'm talking about...

http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread...hlight=6k+lows

from what I understand it is hit or miss with the 08+ needing a relay for the fogs. I put them in for mine to ensure I was not a "miss"...I bought the relay's from Steve @ XD, they don't come with the kit but could be required (I didnt want to take the chance) Hope that helps

HemiDawg 04-26-2010 04:20 PM

Yep, pretty much the same install as mine minus the relays.

I PMed XD to get some input - maybe they can resolve my issue. Needless to say I was very disappointed when I saw the same issue in a different vehicle.

XenonDepot 04-26-2010 04:41 PM

It definitely is not the vehicle. DDMtuning sells extremely low grade products (hence the price). If you look, they constantly change their products to try an lower their cost on the items without any concern for product quality.

A lifetime warranty is great but the best type of warranty is one that you don't have to use :-)

HemiDawg 04-26-2010 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XenonDepot (Post 196554)
It definitely is not the vehicle. DDMtuning sells extremely low grade products (hence the price). If you look, they constantly change their products to try an lower their cost on the items without any concern for product quality.

A lifetime warranty is great but the best type of warranty is one that you don't have to use :-)

Not disputing what you are saying, but then why does everyone's ballasts and kits all look the same if they are not manufactured by the same one or two companies?? Just curious...

I did go to DDMTuning's website today and couldn't believe their kit was around $40 - I paid more than twice that for my kit(s).

White Chocolate 04-26-2010 07:22 PM

I bet using a relay will solve your problem... ;)

Steve is the man! Buy XD or GTFO

kidding lol, both vendors here rock!

Scottina06 04-26-2010 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiDawg (Post 196656)
Not disputing what you are saying, but then why does everyone's ballasts and kits all look the same if they are not manufactured by the same one or two companies?? Just curious...

I did go to DDMTuning's website today and couldn't believe their kit was around $40 - I paid more than twice that for my kit(s).

Looks are deceiving

tman4024 04-26-2010 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiDawg (Post 196656)

Haven't you heard, it's what's inside that counts :D

XenonDepot 04-27-2010 10:16 AM

It's very easy to clone the casing of a ballast. However, it is the technology inside the ballasts and bulbs that make them. Unfortunately, HID kits have turned into a commodity and many importers are simply looking to bring in the cheapest products to stay competitive without any regard for product quality. They market the product with a boasted warranty and inaccurate specifications to attract the consumer. Our HID lighting products use OEM grade HID bulbs and ballasts to ensure the quality and durability of our product. Our HID kits are assembled in high tech ISO and TUV certified facilities. Poor quality HID kits can have failure rates of around 10% right out of the box and potentially last only 1-2 months. Our HID kits have a failure rate of approximately 0.05% (based on 9 years of selling HID lighting products). Many low cost HID kits being sold in the market are now using DC ballasts. These DC ballasts do not convert the power supplied to the AC bulb. This will damage the bulb electrodes and greatly reduce bulb life. Damaged electrodes will cause the bulb gases to leak gradually and result in total bulb failure. HID bulbs do not burn hotter than halogen bulbs however they do put out a significant amount of UV. Our bulbs use German made Philips anti-uv quartz glass to ensure that no damage is done to your vehicle's headlights. Lower grade HID bulbs do not use proper quartz glass to save costs and will end up damaging your vehicle's headlamps over time. Don't fall for low cost/poor quality HID kits with gimmick warranties ie: 3 year, 5 year, lifetime, etc.. Remember! A warranty is only good as long as the merchant you purchase your HID kit from stays in business. It is one thing to advertise a warranty; however, very few stand behind their products like we have been doing since 2001. In fact, we are so confident in our products that we cover any shipping fees involved shold a component fail within the warranty period. Merchants that offer "lifetime" warranties often charge their customers for any shipping fees involved which usually end up costing more than the HID kit.

Steve