Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Visual Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/)
-   -   You guys gotta read this, some inspiring stuff (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/you-guys-gotta-read-this-some-inspiring-stuff-8925.html)

dhillon09 04-27-2010 02:04 AM

You guys gotta read this, some inspiring stuff

.. all I gotta say is .. wow!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376442

This guy's inspired me.

I consider myself to be a guy whose fairly mechanically inclined, so I think I'm going to attempt this. I've found a place to buy the heatgun, all I need to do is find a foam covered squeegee and ebay the vinyl. I wanna do matte black, of course.

A few questions,

For $120, Who the hell cares, I've wasted more money on less cool stuff before. My main problem is, will it eff up my paint? (I will wash and wax twice before I attempt any of this!).

Secondly, I know theres different grades of vinyl, I gotta go troll Marty's old thread for that info!

Lastly, whats applicator fluid? Just soapy water like tinting?

I'm guessing if I can remove my front bumper and headlights/foglights I should be able to make it pretty seamless.

Also, when the vinyl meets vinyl, won't it leave seams? On large areas like my hood, I will have to get a vinyl that's wide enough to cover my hood in one sheet, otherwise it'll be effed!

Anyways, thanks for hearing my ramblings and entertaining my goofy idea. I want to go through with it, I've got the time to kill and money to burn

StoneCold 04-27-2010 04:13 AM

Re: You guys gotta read this, some inspiring stuff

Wow. He's done an amazing job. I just wouldn't have the patience for it. After an hour I'd be ranting like Beavis on a sugar rush:lol:

I think Marty did say there were seams, but they were barely visible.

Megatron 04-27-2010 07:47 AM

Wow! That is some dedication, patience def payed off in the end.

Good luck!

Megatron 04-27-2010 07:48 AM

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1271656698

DAVY27 04-27-2010 08:48 AM

siiiiick

Micallef 04-27-2010 09:09 AM

there is a little bubble to the right of the front wheel in that picture, but otthhheeerr then that!! looks sick haha

SRT Mike 04-27-2010 09:18 AM

off topic...I seen this exact same car out here at Joes crab shack, small world, lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Father Paul (Post 196819)

DJ BoNiOmArIo 04-27-2010 10:28 AM

wow dedication !!!!

Scottina06 04-27-2010 11:17 AM

thats some cheap ass vinyl for $125 for 25 yards.......but the car looks amazing.

from my research the best is 3M and Avery...and yes...the cheaper vinyl will ruin your paint if not removed properly.

I bought some 3m 180c control-tac for my Jeeps roof. Its suppossed to be the best for wraps. It has airchannels built into it to allow the vinyl to be molded easier.

Chuck 04-27-2010 11:30 AM

Wow that is impressive. Hope when he decides to remove it, there won't be damage. But wow that is awesome.

dhillon09 04-27-2010 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck (Post 196950)
Wow that is impressive. Hope when he decides to remove it, there won't be damage. But wow that is awesome.

I'd sell it like that, rofl.

But, Karma's a bitch though.

dhillon09 04-27-2010 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micallef (Post 196889)
there is a little bubble to the right of the front wheel in that picture, but otthhheeerr then that!! looks sick haha

thats a side marker that he just completely covered over :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRT Mike (Post 196892)
off topic...I seen this exact same car out here at Joes crab shack, small world, lol

asian guy? yuuup I'd assume thats him, talk to him about doing your jeep on the cheap! ;) haha

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 196946)
thats some cheap ass vinyl for $125 for 25 yards.......but the car looks amazing.

from my research the best is 3M and Avery...and yes...the cheaper vinyl will ruin your paint if not removed properly.

I bought some 3m 180c control-tac for my Jeeps roof. Its suppossed to be the best for wraps. It has airchannels built into it to allow the vinyl to be molded easier.

You're the man I wanna talk to! Any links or anything like that to your source? :p

The WJ has a lot of screwey curves to deal with. The lower air dam on the front, the way the A pillar and the roof are connected seamlessly, the funky looking duct thing on the back of the rear side window ... it'd be a pita