Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   AFE Stage 2 - All Smiles!!! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/afe-stage-2-all-smiles-8969.html)

HemiDawg 04-28-2010 09:58 AM

AFE Stage 2 - All Smiles!!!

Well, the wife is working from home today, so I got to drive the GC today for the first time with the new AFE Stage 2 CAI installed. First thing I noticed was the Jeep seemed to be quieter under normal throttle - I would contribute this to the engine running smoother bc it can breathe better (or maybe it was just my imagination) Got onto the expressway where traffic was a little heavy, saw an opening in the lane beside me so I punched it...

OH MY GAWD!!!!! The Hemi sounded incredible - what a roar!!! At first I thought it was maybe another vehicle beside me, so I had to punch it again just to see, and there it was coming from my Jeep!! I have an hour+ drive to work, so every chance I got I let the RPMs get up high enough to hear that mean growl.

Needless to say my average MPGs dropped a bit by the time I got to work.:D

Can't wait to get the Magnaflow catback on now!!

White WK Swagga 04-28-2010 10:09 AM

Re: AFE Stage 2 - All Smiles!!!

Nice!!! but sorry to hear. Now that you got a taste it won't ever stop. LOL

SoCalMoparWK 04-28-2010 10:10 AM

Now get a superchip or diablo tuner + magnaflow and your gas milage will go down alot, especially when you run the tuner on gas saver mode.

SRTILL8 04-28-2010 10:19 AM

nice, good stuff, i love letting it rip on thruways:thumbsup:

DJ BoNiOmArIo 04-28-2010 11:14 AM

nice try getting a sound clip for us

HemiDawg 04-28-2010 11:24 AM

Will do - wish I had gotten one before to compare.

yousmellfunnytoo 04-28-2010 11:35 AM

When I remote start my car, people give me the once over like I am driving an old muscle car or something because its Loud in a parking garage @ work.

You've caught the bug, but as far as turners go, go diablosport :)

Maybe a bigger throttle body is in the cards too ;)

HemiDawg 04-28-2010 11:46 AM

Got to be careful with what I do - paid for a 100K mile BTB warranty, so I don't want to do anything that might void it.

yousmellfunnytoo 04-28-2010 11:52 AM

There is a thread here that goes into detail about the BTB coverage. Pretty much, the dealership has to fully determine that what you did to your jeep voided what went wrong with the jeep

Increasing your TB size, shouldnt affect the warrenty on your heated seats or suspension, bad example, but you get the idea

Plus, next time you take it in, see how the dealership reacts towards the upgrades. The dude I bring it into at the dealership always gives me a thumbs up and talks about what i've done and plan on doing. He also gives me the coupon price of 19.95 for a 7qt oil change even when I dont have one.

Not to say nothing will go wrong, but the hemi is a powerful, reliable motor, and putting a few bolt ones here and there shouldnt affect that.

Lastly, awesome jeep :) I love the dark interior, wish I could have gotten it

HemiDawg 04-28-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yousmellfunnytoo (Post 197646)
There is a thread here that goes into detail about the BTB coverage. Pretty much, the dealership has to fully determine that what you did to your jeep voided what went wrong with the jeep

Increasing your TB size, shouldnt affect the warrenty on your heated seats or suspension, bad example, but you get the idea

Plus, next time you take it in, see how the dealership reacts towards the upgrades. The dude I bring it into at the dealership always gives me a thumbs up and talks about what i've done and plan on doing. He also gives me the coupon price of 19.95 for a 7qt oil change even when I dont have one.

Not to say nothing will go wrong, but the hemi is a powerful, reliable motor, and putting a few bolt ones here and there shouldnt affect that.

Lastly, awesome jeep :) I love the dark interior, wish I could have gotten it

Thanks for the info and the compliment. My family for years has worked directly with the owner of the dealer I go to, so I can always go to him and find out what he would consider to be a modification that would void the warranty. This is one case where "it is easier to ask forgiveness than for permission" probably doesn't hold true.

dmsfun 04-28-2010 01:42 PM

I have had the AFE stage II for a couple of years; it does wake up the hemi with a bit more getupandgo under throttle, but I noticed the tip in part throttle response on the highway is not as good as stock, and the loudness gets old after a while too. It does improve mpg by about 1.2 (driver dependant, that is !) so not going to take it off, as with the price of gas, every little bit helps.

HemiDawg 04-28-2010 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmsfun (Post 197736)
...but I noticed the tip in part throttle response on the highway is not as good as stock...

Crap, you mean I have to give it full throttle more often??? :D